Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightest & Most Compact Tripod for Wista 45SP that is Also Reasonably Priced?

Lightest & Most Compact Tripod for Wista 45SP that is Also Reasonably Priced?

I just bought my first 4x5 camera, a Wista 45SP w/ Schneider APO-Symmar 135mm f/5.6 lens, and am planning on using my Bogen tripod which is an older aluminum tripod that is really sturdy and thus heavy. I am looking for a lighter tripod that I can strap to the side of my Lowepro camera backpack for certain circumstances like hikes, etc. I am looking for the lightest and most compact tripod that can be purchased for ~$100.00 used. Does anything exist like this?

Thank you for any recommendations!

Drew Wiley

Re: Lightest & Most Compact Tripod for Wista 45SP that is Also Reasonably Priced?

No, not new at least. But you might be able to find a bargain on something used.

Re: Lightest & Most Compact Tripod for Wista 45SP that is Also Reasonably Priced?

For years I've used a lightweight Manfrotto 3205 and the 3-way 3025 head for my wooden Wistas (45D, 45SW). They are plenty sturdy for me. I carried the tripod strapped to my bicylcle and my camera kit in a backpack for hundreds of miles in Europe. Maybe something similar will work for you. This combination is still my go-to hiking and biking tripod.

FWIW, I prefer the 3025 head to heads with long handles and ball heads. It's now renamed to "056 3d Junior"; though it's robust enough for heavy cameras. It gives you the flexibility of both. The tripod is a bit too short for me at times, but you can set it up with the legs a bit closer together for a few extra inches in a pinch.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    No, not new at least. But you might be able to find a bargain on something used.
    Right...
    "I am looking for the lightest and most compact tripod that can be purchased for ~$100.00 used."

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    For years I've used a lightweight Manfrotto 3205 and the 3-way 3025 head for my wooden Wistas (45D, 45SW). They are plenty sturdy for me. I carried the tripod strapped to my bicylcle and my camera kit in a backpack for hundreds of miles in Europe. Maybe something similar will work for you. This combination is still my go-to hiking and biking tripod.

FWIW, I prefer the 3025 head to heads with long handles and ball heads. It's now renamed to "056 3d Junior"; though it's robust enough for heavy cameras. It gives you the flexibility of both. The tripod is a bit too short for me at times, but you can set it up with the legs a bit closer together for a few extra inches in a pinch.

Best,

Doremus
    Now this is what I am looking for, thanks! How do you strap it to your bike?

I strapped mine to a rear rack, the camera went in Ortlieb bags.

Now I use a trailer.

I prefer a tripod with spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wista45SP View Post
    Tin Can

In my bicycle racing days the saying was “light, cheap, strong; you can have any two of three.” This also applies to tripods and heads. I went for light and strong, and for traveling or the lightest pack I use an FLM Traveler tripod and their CB 38FT ball head (which works somewhat like a 3-way head) for my Canham 4x5. One of our members, Ari of FLMCanada.com is the importer, and B&H carries the full line. There are quite a few compact “travel” tripods that can probably handle a lightweight 4x5, at least as long as it is not too windy. For regular use any of the larger CF tripods will work, mine is one of the Gitzo “Reporter” series. My approach has been to buy something really good, and use it forever, rather than save money up front, but keep trading up later.

Quote Originally Posted by Wista45SP View Post
    Some things you just have to find on your own. Good Luck.

see if you can find a Bogen/manfrotto 3001 set of legs and a 3030 head

You pay more for cheap tripods in the long run. But until you decide to invest in a long term model the one below has met my needs for over a year. A visit to your local camera shop may also turn up a bargain. Garage sales, thrift stores, and other used outlets can sometimes yield nice surprises.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pod.html/specs

I had to shim the ballhead to make it more stable because the tape shims from the manufacturer were not placed properly, and finally replaced it with a 3 way head from manfrotto.

the 3021BN tripod I bought back in 2000 is still in great shape, but a bit heavy for long hikes. I see them used for < $100
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography