Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing a 21" Kodak Ektanon from a Prism

Re: Removing a 21" Kodak Ektanon from a Prism

Michael,

It looks like the cell for the front element is deep enough to provide fairly good purchase if you were to grab on to it. Have you tried a length of lamp cord as a "wrench"? This is the method I use for stuck cells and recalcitrant filters. More recently I have turned to using the power cord from one of my Apple power supplies. That cable has an insulation that is fairly "sticky" and "grippy". For tougher cases I have a pipe wrench that operates on the same principal. The handle cinches up the strap and adds a bit of lever advantage. But usually I can get things moving with just the lamp cord trick

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Michael,

It looks like the cell for the front element is deep enough to provide fairly good purchase if you were to grab on to it. Have you tried a length of lamp cord as a "wrench"? This is the method I use for stuck cells and recalcitrant filters. More recently I have turned to using the power cord from one of my Apple power supplies. That cable has an insulation that is fairly "sticky" and "grippy". For tougher cases I have a pipe wrench that operates on the same principal. The handle cinches up the strap and adds a bit of lever advantage. But usually I can get things moving with just the lamp cord trick
    I am going to try to ensure that there are no inside mounted screws holding the lens in place and if not, the power cord technique is going to be teed up as a first option. Thanks!

Photographer

Another option that has worked well for me is a strap wrench. Same idea as William's. You can get them inexpensively from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=strap%20wrench.

Sometimes it has helped to put the stuck element in the freezer for a couple of hours. Allows the metal in the joint to contract.
    Last edited by Keith Pitman; 24-Sep-2019 at 15:02.
    Keith Pitman

OK. I was able to find a set of screws on the front of the prism that upon closer inspection allowed a holding bar to be taken off and this allowed the lens on a lens board to be lifted out of the prism housing. There are three small screws on the outer round section at the intersection of the lens board (you can see them in the image below) and what looks like a retaining ring that is screwed into the lens housing. The screws are quite small and appear to be holding things from unscrewing (which is what I need to do). My gut tells me that these small screws are what is keeping this lens from unscrewing from its housing. I have been looking for very small flat head screw drivers and don't thing I have small enough ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ektanon.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	195862

Photographer

You need a set of jeweler's screwdrivers: https://www.harborfreight.com/16-pie...-set-4143.html

You can find better quality elsewhere, but these will work.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    You need a set of jeweler's screwdrivers: https://www.harborfreight.com/16-pie...-set-4143.html

Thanks Keith. I am going to acquire a set of these. Great suggestion.

You can find better quality elsewhere, but these will work.
    Thanks. Ordered them.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 26-Sep-2019 at 09:55. Reason: typo

Received the set of micro screw drivers from Harbor Freight and was able to unscrew the three tiny set screws holding the barrel lens in the square metal housing and use the strap wrench also from Harbor Freight to unscrew it. I have a round metal ring attached to the outside of the front lens barrel that I just think I am going to leave there so I am good to get it out and make some photographs with it.

Best of luck Michael, I think you'll find it a fine lens.