Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF and ULF portraiture

LF and ULF portraiture

I know that a lot of you have surely have done LF portraiture, but I noticed that there are relatively few posts in this forum's archives in the portraiture category. If you do portraiture in 8x10 and larger (11x14+), could you post a link to an example of your work with a few comments about it? I —for one— would love to take a look!

Particularly, with wet collodion currently making a come-back (can you believe it? In the face of the digital wave? wow), if any of you "drip 'n' dry" photographers want to show off a few images, I'm sure the group would be pleased.

Even if you don't post any photos, if you have expeiences, "war stories" or advice on the subject, it'd be great to read. I remember that, with the recent passing of John Cook, many of you mentioned his depth of experience and how openly he shared it. I'm sure there are others among us who can offer up a few nuggets of information on this meagerly contributed subject, or at least I hope so!

LF and ULF portraiture

I agree. I too would love to hear more from people whom also do ULF portraiture.

I myself use a Wisner 12x20 and HP5 for portraits. Developing in PMK and have recently begun using Night Vision goggles.
    I am using a 300mm Dagor in an Ilex#3 with NO PC sync to do environmental portraits and even up to a scale of 2,5:1!

I would love to get some feed back on what people think of my work.

Although I thought we would have it finished by now, I together with Scandinavians best LF photolab are building an ULF enlarger.
    What more could one want that a neg carrier for 20x24 and a color head!?

1,2x2 meter fiber portrait print with no grain is AWESOME and shows the true advantages of the ULF neg. Anyone want to jump on the train just mail me!

Do you have a website?

Tedd

You can go to soost.com.
    Teddan

LF and ULF portraiture

I have recently begun a project of wet plate portraiture using 11x14. I conceived the idea almost two years ago, and it has taken me that long to get everything together and working. I have been having a problem scanning them, but have temporarily settled on scanning my plates in two halves, and then using a stitch program to put them together like a digital panorama. Crude but it works for screen resolution.

Here is my first shot of the series:

It is an 11x14 Ambrotype on clear glass (backed with a sheet of anodized aluminum). Exposure was about 6 seconds at f/6 using a Dallmeyer 5D 19" f/6 Petzval lens.

LF and ULF portraiture

Very nice JG!

Here is a link to one of my negs scanned on a new Heidelberg drumscanner at 1:1.
    A 13 meg 72 dpi jpg isn't too shaby ej? :0)

http://www.soost.com/Jakob2.jpg

300mm Dagor in an Ilex #3 HP5 f32 @ 1/2 second.
    Long enough to fire my Broncolor ring flash.
    Teddan

LF and ULF portraiture

JG, all I can say is wow. Glad I startd this thread, even if it eands here! Beautiful portrait.

Tedd, no I don't yet have a website. Be patient though, it's on the way. I'm a still a computer dinosaur. Until a couple of years ago my only "computer" was a Casio pocket calulator, and I was lucky to have figured THAT out!

Meanwhile, vive wet collodion, wooden view cameras and the abacus. Batteries not included, nor needed.

LF and ULF portraiture

It would be a blast to try this with my 12x20.

Maybe a gathering for those interested sometime?
    Teddan

LF and ULF portraiture

Of course I didn't notice the 13 mb part about the sample online image. Is everything you guys do "big", even your web images? Now I have to fire up all three of my 30 inch displays just to see the image as it was meant to be ....

LF and ULF portraiture

My largest currently available format is 8x10, but a 14x17 is in the works. Here's a portrait of my wife, in 8x10:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8780&cat=500&ppuser=177

Jay

LF and ULF portraiture

Thanks for the comments. I would love to see other 11x14 or larger portraiture, to see where other photographers are going, and other directions I can move. I really enjoyed your work Tedd; I love the shape of 12x20, it is perfect for environmental portraiture. I have thought about building a 8.4" x 14" reducer for my camera so I can shoot those same proportions.

Old School Wayne

LF and ULF portraiture

Great topic. I have long wanted to start on a 8x10 portrait series, its the only thing I can get excited about. I started, or attempted to, last week, and after a few negs I learned how far I have to go to make it work. Seeing JG's example makes it seem even farther. But at least its started. I cant see your picture Tedd (or wont wait 1/2 hour), can you downsize that sucker for those of us with dialups?