Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LF and ULF portraiture

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

LF and ULF portraiture

Great pictures. There is also the Polaroid 20x24 crowd, such as Tracy Storer, Elsa Dorfman, Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, and Douglas Kirkland.

LF and ULF portraiture

I need to scan an image I took using an 8x10 Burke and James/12 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar that I took of my father holding a classical guitar he made. It's sharp beyond belief, even with the lens at f/11. It image quality is what caused me to rethink moving away from ULF.

LF and ULF portraiture

Just in from shooting my first 8x10 portraits in ten years. At this point I feel like either shooting 8x10 (or larger) or working with digital, because all the in between stuff is just a compromise.

I had a 7x17 in the 80s but 8x10 is so much easier to deal with - the holders are affordable, film is easy to find, I can carry it. Heck I'm using a $330 Arca 8x10 and a $102 Caltar lens -- the price is very easy to take.

Keep posting - you guys are inspirational.

LF and ULF portraiture

Well, I asked for nuggets, and I believe we already have one when Frank Petronio says:

"At this point I feel like either shooting 8x10 (or larger) or working with digital, because all the in between stuff is just a compromise."

Nugget or not, I agree as well when he says, "Keep posting - you guys are inspirational".

LF and ULF portraiture

Some truly impressive work here, and what is more it is creative and different then 99.99% of what we see passing as portraiture. Very inspiring.

I generally don't shoot people, but do shoot the occasional tummy here and there, so almost on topic and not as beautiful as the above, but I figure if you don't show, you won't get better:

4x5

LF and ULF portraiture

Well, it's not really portraiture, and it's not strictly speaking ULF...

It's simply an image taken with the scanning back i built out of a flatbed scanner to put on my 11x14 camera...

Close enough?

PJ

Old School Wayne

LF and ULF portraiture

Close enough?

While I have nothing against them in general or this one is particular, I just dont think an ass qualifies as a face.

LF and ULF portraiture

"Close enough?" (Patrick Jan Van Hove)

Patrick, it's on the nose ... er... or whatever you want to call it. ;o)

LF and ULF portraiture

Yes, Patrick its close enough.
    It took quite a while but I finally saw her nose so I guess that makes it a portrait.
    ; >)

I actually had a dream about 10 years ago that involved turning a flatbed scanner into a camera back.
    Tell us about yours!

LF and ULF portraiture

I've posted these before, but just for the record--

8x10" albumen print, Heliar 36 cm at f:4.5 (wide open), window light, TXT in ABC pyro developed for albumen. Using the string trick (string from the tripod head to the tip of the nose), I was able to shoot four sheets, with the right eye in focus on every one. We realized, though, that after photographing my wife for years, that something wasn't quite right, and it's that she's left eyed, so from now on we're going to try these with the light coming from the other side, using the left eye as the leading eye.

8x10" Fuji Type-R contact print, 12" Gold Dot Dagor at f:14 or so, strobes, Fuji Astia