Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450mm lens with 420mm bellows draw?

450mm lens with 420mm bellows draw?

Hi, I would like to use my 450mm Nikkor-M lens on my 4x10 camera that has 420mm of bellows draw.

Any ideas of how to make this work based on experience?

Thanks!

Larry

Photographer

Re: 450mm lens with 420mm bellows draw?

Use a “top hat” extension lensboard the has a tube that extends the lens about 100mm. I like the Ebay seller jinfinance (no relation, just reliable and good quality).
    Keith Pitman

Hi Keith, thanks for the tip. I just did a search on eBay for a 100mm Top Hat lensboard Linhof style and nothing is coming up at this time. I will use this info as a starting point and see what I can come up wtih. Thanks again.

Larry

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

No problem! Just shoot things that are a little beyond infinity...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi, I would like to use my 450mm Nikkor-M lens on my 4x10 camera that has 420mm of bellows draw.
    Replace your M 450 by a Tele lens type that require less bellows, for example the Nikon T 600mm only requires 410mm bellows. Tele lenses are the straight solution for shortcommings in the bellows.

________

Flange focal distance of the M450 is 435.8mm, the rear nodal point is in the exterior side of the lens board so you need a bit less than 450mm.

To focus infinite, as Keith pointed, you want a 20mm tube extension.

This would not allow to focus close subjects, but there is an exception: If in a landscape (say with mountains far) you want to also focus a near subject (say a flower) that's in the scene bottom then a tilt in the back and/or in the front would keep all in focus.

Of course stopping a lot the lens will also help to place near subjects in focus, but you also will loss ultimate Image Quality because of diffraction.

_______

Right now, even without the tube extension, I guess you can take your first shots by stopping a lot, but if you want to play in that focal range you need a solution because your camera is simply not for that lens. You may DIY add bellows draw to the camera, you may replace the camera, you can shot with a shorter focal and cropping.... and finally, the best choice, replace your M 450 by a Tele lens type that require less bellows.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi Keith, thanks for the tip. I just did a search on eBay for a 100mm Top Hat lensboard Linhof style and nothing is coming up at this time. I will use this info as a starting point and see what I can come up wtih. Thanks again.

Larry
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luland-Prod...0AAOSwnbZYHE-0

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    https://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_sh...2/e_acces2.htm

Adjustable for length and accepts 0, 1 or 3 size shutters. Longer extensions available as accessories.

This is exactly what I was looking for!! I just purchased it. Thanks for the link...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post

Hi Pere, that is a really good tip and point that you make. A good friend of mine has been trying to sell me his Nikkor 600, so maybe I should also consider this as an option now. I also just purchased the adjustable top hat lensboard that Steve recommended. Excellent tips from everyone!

Thanks

Larry

Drew Wiley

Long tophat boards are capable of mechanical vignetting if you apply strong front tilts or swings to the front standard. They also add torque vector leverage to the front standard by hanging out in front, so you have to be a little more careful with wind gusts etc. But the same could be said to some extent about telephotos.