Am interesting is hiking short distances with my 11x14 Chamonix. The system is currently housed inside a large Sinar Norma case. The case is no problem to haul around using a wheeled luggage carrier, but using the luggage carrier on a trail here in New England just not an option. I am looking to hike not more than a half mike from the car and usually more like less than a quarter mile. Camera, maybe 2 lenses, max 2 holders, etc. will have to be carried on my back. Ries tripod over the shoulder. So what I believe I am looking for is a backpack that will be able to carry the camera, 1-2 lenses, 1-2 film holders, and some accessories. Minimal padding needed to protect the equipment, but a good harness to support the weight a must.

I want to begin a project of re-visiting some 12 waterfalls here in New England and photograph them with my 11x14. Most I have already photographed over the years with my 8x10, but now want to re-photograph them with my 11x14. Good thing is that most of the time I will need to carry only one lens with me. Unfortunately the backpack that I used to carry the 8x10 system can't be expandable to carry my 11x14.

Have looked into bulk "backpack" carriers for canoes, but so far they seem to have rather flimsy and uncomfortable harnesses... hopefully someone out there with some actual personal experience with these can prove me wrong on this point.

Suggestions and comments most welcome as always...