Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: photographer's name?

Re: photographer's name?

So to bring two related topics togther, here is a shot I made using a 6x17 roll film back on a 5x7 camera, on one of Tillman's workshops in North Dakota (highly recommended). I also shot 5x7 sheet film, but the 6x17 images were much more dynamic.

North Dakota, by Dan Dister
    Canham MQC 5x7, w/Canham 6x17 roll film back, 75mm Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Hi Alan

In case you're also interested, Brian Kosoff (from memory) used to shoot 2 x 5 with his Linhof (masked)

https://www.kosoff.com/Artist.asp?Ar...&Akey=C782FMS2

regards

Andrew
    Andrew, thank you for the link. I confess that I hadn't heard of Brian Kosoff, but his photographs are very interesting. Slightly "cold" maybe, and lacking in emotion, but very impressive.

Alan

Dan, thanks for recommending the North Dakota workshop. Unfortunately it's a long way from where I live, in North Yorkshire in the UK!
    I too have a 5x7 camera and was wondering about a 6x17 back. I can see why you think this format is dramatic. I have Koudelka's book "Chaos" and whenever I open it am fascinated and intrigued by the format.

Alan

Right, North Dakota is a bit far. His Scotland workshop is coming up very soon, but you can always ask: https://www.tillmancrane.com/workshop_11

The big advantage of using a rollfilm back versus a split plate approach is the wide range of 120 film emulsions available, compared to any sheet film.

The Canham 6x17 automatic roll film back is an amazing piece of equipment, but a 6x12 back on a 4x5 camera works pretty well too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R617.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	195747

Quote Originally Posted by aclark View Post
    Dan, thanks for recommending the North Dakota workshop. Unfortunately it's a long way from where I live, in North Yorkshire in the UK!
    I too have a 5x7 camera and was wondering about a 6x17 back. I can see why you think this format is dramatic. I have Koudelka's book "Chaos" and whenever I open it am fascinated and intrigued by the format.

Alan

Thanks Dan but as I said earlier I'm not really interested in a workshop.
    Regarding the 6x12 back, I had thought of this for my 5x4, but using Foma sheet film works out cheaper than Foma roll film when you get two images on one sheet.

Alan