Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Tripod part???

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Tripod part???


    I have no idea what it is. Somebody know what it is used for, please share. See the photo:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15689556407041100547331.jpg   15689557575661837811695.jpg  

  2. #2
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Humboldt County, CA

    Re: Tripod part???

    Yes, a tripod part. It is an adapter, each end has one of the two standard sizes of screw/threads used these days. The smaller is common on almost all 35mm and medium format cameras. My Rolleiflex and Rolleicords have the larger, but have reducers in them to match the smaller. LF cameras usually have the larger screw/thread size. So you might see one of these adapters on a tripod head so that cameras that use either size screw/tread size can be attached. The other place one might see them is inbetween the tripod and the head...tripods usually are the larger, and heads can be either size.

    The photo shows some wear-and-tear below the smaller end and none around the larger end -- the marks are most likely from the clamping device (set screw, etc) to hold the adapter solidly onto the head. Depending on what size one needs, one loosens the clamp, flips the adapter over and clamps it down again. Then screws the camera on.

    It might be specific to a brand/model of tripod and/or head.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Re: Tripod part???

    It is a stud or spigot that goes on the top of a light stand. It's screwed or clamped in place and things (lights, etc) are screwed or clamped onto the top part. Here's one listed as "double ended spigot":

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Santa Barbara

    Re: Tripod part???

    that is a stud for a bogen / Matthews super clamp..with a tripod screw top

  5. #5
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Re: Tripod part???

    Fit's many things, called a Baby Double-ended Spigot, everybody needs more than one.

    If you lose it, the next day you will need it.

Similar Threads

  1. Question about tripod part
    By jamesnoname in forum Gear
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 5-Apr-2017, 13:05
  2. Part for Thalhammer tripod head
    By jmontague in forum Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2016, 14:42


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts