Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ektachrome 35mm

Re: New Ektachrome 35mm

E100 is one hell of a film. This stuff in 8x10 is going to absolutely slay. Shut up and take my money, Kodak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019.snaps-325.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	195678
    Pentax LX - 43/1.9 - E100

I still like Velvia 50 in 120. But willing to try it if it comes out.

Drew Wiley

Velvia might look good on a light box, but it's not a particularly versatile film in terms of printing characteristics. When it comes to sheet film, E100G was made on dimensionally stable estar base, while most Velvia and Provia was still on floppy, shrinking triacetate. Acetate can be hell if precise registration is needed for sake of optical printing or duplicating. Otherwise, some kinds of mules are flashy and classic, it seems, while others are friendly, cuddly, and smell like a mule. 8x10 Ektachrome has the smell of leather, as my wallet is emptied out.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Isn’t printing from a slide a has-been consideration? I stopped that back in the 1990’s because I was not happy with the results.

I’ll only shoot transparency film to project or look at on a light table.

Drew Wiley

Has been? I was doing it all summer. I'm getting superb results from Portra contact internegs. It involves masking the original chrome and has a steep learning curve, but once you're on target you've got something that will print on ra4 paper like a duck goes to water. But I only have time to prioritize 8x10 chrome originals for now, not anything smaller.

I got the slides back from the lab, and decided to rescan a few. Whew, much better than what they'd done:

I finally got a test roll scanned and I'm liking it. The colors seem to be pretty accurate, as this image represents "what my eyes saw." This image is from the end of November, 2019, on the new Ektachrome 100, of course. I have other images, of my dog, on the same roll and they seem to be pretty accurate as far as color rendition, too.

Delta has replaced Airbus A319s with Boeing 717s on the Minneapolis and Detroit to/from Baltimore routes, and I caught N977AT, on arrival.

Name:	SSP_52269.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	200052
    Last edited by MultiFormat Shooter; 2-Feb-2020 at 18:52.

Two images from my first roll of the new Ektachrome, taken last summer and fall. Camera is an Olympus Pen FT (half frame) with the Zuiko 25mm f4 lens. These were attempts (not altogether successful) to create in-camera pairs that can be mounted as a single slide. I find the overall color a bit blue, but some of that might be from lens flare or from not having my ancient Nikon LS-20 slide scanner properly calibrated.
    Bob

Name:	2020-01-31-0002sm.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	200229
    Pritzker Bandshell, Millennium Park, Chicago

Name:	2020-01-31-0003sm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	200230
    South garden, Art Institute of Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by MultiFormat Shooter View Post
    ...Delta has replaced Airbus A319s with Boeing 717s on the Minneapolis and Detroit to/from Baltimore routes, and I caught N977AT on arrival...
    Thanks for that memory. The MD-95 was my last commercial flight simulator involvement at McDonnell Douglas before we became Boeing, the new owners changed its name to 717, and I transferred to a different project. I always thought that aircraft would have been a great seller and performer for customers, but, in my opinion, marketing in Seattle failed to sell the product since it competed with "their" 737, essentially killing it off. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Thanks for that memory. The MD-95 was my last commercial flight simulator involvement at McDonnell Douglas before we became Boeing, the new owners changed its name to 717, and I transferred to a different project. I always thought that aircraft would have been a great seller and performer for customers, but, in my opinion, marketing in Seattle failed to sell the product since it competed with "their" 737, essentially killing it off. Sad.
    Hey! I worked on the (engineering development) flight simulator for MD-95 too. I wonder....did we work in the same building, for the same people?