Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Camera

Re: 4x5 Camera

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    I wouldn’t be sure either if I were you. The best camera in this category is the Linhof Master Technica. I owned that one, but sold it. It has a rangefinder too and this suggests that you work quick in the field. In practice, I never work fast with LF. I’ve got my Leica for that kind of work, or whatever. The compact, folded idea is nice, but the Chamonix has that too and is very much lighter. I do not need the robustness of a heavy metal 4x5, because it’s not being used that often. Swings, tilts, etc. are limited compared to a Chamonix. The advantage of Chamonix is that it is a working factory, the brand is not that expensive, and it has.....: immense nice filmholders which are sturdy, new, and reliable (wood and carbon). I find all these plastic secondhand filmholders, if you can find them, scary; you’re never certain whether they’re closed right, etc. Other accessories for your 4x5 you later want to add are always available for your Chamonix. If something is missing on your Graflex or so you are searching endlessly on eBay
    Thank you. Chamonix is a waranty to avoid problems, more expensive but probably the best choice I am considering.

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

Another question I have:
    I use b&w and color film and I develop both at home.
    Is it easy to find color film for 4x5?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro_fiz View Post
    Another question I have:
    I use b&w and color film and I develop both at home.

Yes, best selection of any of the large format. And the least expensive by far.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

All metal Linhof Technikas predated Sinar Norma by multiple decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    All metal Linhof Technikas predated Sinar Norma by multiple decades.
    In LF, 14 years (1934), before that Technikas were MF, but you are right, "the Norma first all metal camera ever" is absolutely wrong, I guess that the Norma is first all metal system camera, "achieved by means of standardized components carefully designed to form a highly versatile building block system".

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro_fiz View Post
    It's easy, but also consider using a 120 format back in the view camera rear to shot 6x12cm for example. Color sheet film is crazy expensive compared to 120 format.

Film cost for a 6x12cm Provia shot is $1.4, while 4x5 shot is around $4, which makes 6x12cm a nice choice for (panoramic) landscape. For portrait you may use Portra in 120 rolls in the camera back in 6x9 or 6x8, while you conserve full movements and a lot of image quality.

Fuji and kodak have very high prices (x2) for sheet film compared to the same surface in 120 roll film, ilford and Foma keeps similar per surface price. Maufacturers have a pricing policy, you decide what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    In LF, 14 years (1934), before that Technikas were MF, but you are right, "the Norma first all metal camera ever" is absolutely wrong, I guess that the Norma is first all metal system camera, "achieved by means of standardized components carefully designed to form a highly versatile building block system".
    Why don’t you do proper research? Just go to Linhof History on their web site.

“1889

Construction of Valentin Linhof’s first all-metal camera based on the design of – Joseph Barth , a precision engineer from Munich using aluminium instead brass. The format 9 x 12 cm came in two versions: for plates and rollfilm. For the first time the camera was square. By rotating the groundglass screen the format coud be switched from upright to horizontal pictures without removing the camera from the tripod.”

This was 1889.

“Die Technika-Serie wird in den Versionen 6×9 cm und 9×12 cm gebaut.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why don’t you do proper research? Just go to Linhof History on their web site.

“1889

Construction of Valentin Linhof’s first all-metal camera based on the design of – Joseph Barth , a precision engineer from Munich using aluminium instead brass. The format 9 x 12 cm came in two versions: for plates and rollfilm. For the first time the camera was square. By rotating the groundglass screen the format coud be switched from upright to horizontal pictures without removing the camera from the tripod.”

This was 1889.

“Die Technika-Serie wird in den Versionen 6×9 cm und 9×12 cm gebaut.”

Bob, I did some research: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linhof

First Large Format technika: 1934, the Linhof 34

What Pre 1934 Technika is LF ?? (9x12cm or 4x5) http://linhof.com/en/historische-kameras-2/

6x9cm are MF...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Bob, I did some research: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linhof

First Large Format technika: 1934, the Linhof 34

What Pre 1934 Technika is LF ?? (9x12cm or 4x5) http://linhof.com/en/historische-kameras-2/

6x9cm are MF...
    9x12cm is the Continental version of 45. Linhof is a continental company. They worked with the metric system. 45 would be an awkward dimension in metric.