Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Camera

Re: 4x5 Camera

Consider the prints to be made first, then lenses required achieve them, the post exposed film process to achieve the print in mind, camera comes last as it should be the print in mind that drives camera-lens choice. There is no single ideal LF camera or ideal LF lens for all image making needs. There are limits with specific LF cameras when they are expected to work with specific lenses required to achieve the finished print in mind.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro_fiz View Post
    Hello.
    I am from Spain. I have some film cameras for 35mm and medium format. I am thinking to buy my first large format and I have different options I am not sure:

- Graflex 4x5 with Ektar 152 by eBay USA
    - Wista 4x5 (with Fujinon) by eBay Japan
    - Chamonix 4x5 and a Fujinon or Nikkor (no expensive)
    - Other...

Which one would you recommend?

The Graflex is cheaper but is it good enough? Is it fully compatible with other lenses?

Thank you very much for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It could be a good option to start in LF, but probably it is very difficult to find one in good working conditions, don't you think so?
    Thanks

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

I live in Spain and for sure color negative sheet film is expensive and difficult to find except in Madrid and Barcelona , you can buy it online cheaper .

Between here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Consider the prints to be made first, then lenses required achieve them, the post exposed film process to achieve the print in mind, camera comes last as it should be the print in mind that drives camera-lens choice.
    Bernice
    I wish I had understood this when I started out. The only advice I can give, apart from what Bernice wrote, is to get something cheap, just to dip your toe in there and see if the whole process is for you. Going on a shopping tour buying new equipment is a bit crazy, given you are just starting out. Europe is full of nice secondhand cameras just waiting to be used.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Hello.
    Finally I bougth a Camera Graflex Crown Graphic, reasonable Good conditions.
    Here's my first photo: Ilford FP4+ 125, HC-110 and Epson V800.
    Thank you so much for your help!!
    GRAFLEX-2019- (3)A by pedro_fiz, en Flickr

congratulations, looks good

Pedro -- You're off to a good start with the Graflex. There are enough good subjects waiting to be photographed to keep you busy with just that camera and lens for the rest of your life. For more information on this camera in addition to links posted earlier, the book Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Lester (or just Morgan in the latest editions) has much information. You will need the 8th edition of 1947 or later to cover your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Pedro -- You're off to a good start with the Graflex. There are enough good subjects waiting to be photographed to keep you busy with just that camera and lens for the rest of your life. For more information on this camera in addition to links posted earlier, the book Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Lester (or just Morgan in the latest editions) has much information. You will need the 8th edition of 1947 or later to cover your camera.
    Thank you. I will look for the book.

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

Hello.
    Finally I bougth a Camera Graflex Crown Graphic, reasonable Good conditions.
    Here's my first photo: Ilford FP4+ 125, HC-110 and Epson V800.
    Thank you so much for your help!!
    GRAFLEX-2019- (3)A by pedro_fiz, en Flickr
    Hi!!
    Congratulations for that fantastic first shot!! "Puente nuevo" in Salamanca :-)

Saludos ;-)
    Antonio

Hello.
    I am from Spain. I have some film cameras for 35mm and medium format. I am thinking to buy my first large format and I have different options I am not sure:

- Graflex 4x5 with Ektar 152 by eBay USA
    - Wista 4x5 (with Fujinon) by eBay Japan
    - Chamonix 4x5 and a Fujinon or Nikkor (no expensive)
    - Other...

Which one would you recommend?

The Graflex is cheaper but is it good enough? Is it fully compatible with other lenses?

Thank you very much for your time.
    The Speed GRaphic is excellent at images for which it is designed, fast ones for news or sports. it is not a general use field camera. it is slow, heavy with very limited movements and far less useful for you than either of the others you listed.