Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new old Ektar lens

My new old Ektar lens

My new 14 inch lens. Extar lens in an Ilex 5 shutter. Love the ilex shutter. Only goes to 1/50 second. Very smooth. Love it being self-cocking and the lever to open shutter to compose and focus. Love the pretty much round iris too.

Big damn shutter too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49F35667-34EF-4D32-83ED-4FD6E94FEA47.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	195604

Re: My new old Ektar lens

Congratulations! They are fine lenses; I regret selling mine. It will serve you well, I'm sure.

I hope I can find a way to use it on my 4x5, lest I get a 5x7. I am playing with 8x10, but would want a lightweight field camera in 8x10 for practical applications in landscape and such. Even astrophotography.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    My new 14 inch lens. Extar lens in an Ilex 5 shutter. Love the ilex shutter. Only goes to 1/50 second.
    Great lens !

I'd like to have one !

Let me recommend this book: A manual of advanced celestial photography (Walis, Provin) (under $10, ebay). It covers interesting topics about film, like hypersensitization to avoid LIRF, and how early astrophotography contributed to basic scientific discoveries, as long exposures allowed to show what eye could not see.

I ordered the book at Abebooks.

Light reading...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Great lens !

I'd like to have one !

Let me recommend this book: A manual of advanced celestial photography (Walis, Provin) (under $10, ebay). It covers interesting topics about film, like hypersensitization to avoid LIRF, and how early astrophotography contributed to basic scientific discoveries, as long exposures allowed to show what eye could not see.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I ordered the book at Abebooks.
    Randy, I'd say that you won't regret, I found it is a really interesting reading, in fact it was a very good recommendation from LabRat, IIRC.

I have had such bad luck with the Ilex 5 shutter. At the moment I have two on a shelf waiting for the $ to have them repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I have had such bad luck with the Ilex 5 shutter. At the moment I have two on a shelf waiting for the $ to have them repaired.
    I wish I had them. I always on the lookout for Ilex shutters. They were built like tanks by an alarm clock maker.

This is a tank for sure. As for astrophotography the big thing is usi GA 4x5 for the camera where you would actually put the dslr or dedicated ccd. How to get an image circle large enough to fully cover 4x5. Right now it's around 2 in. But how cool to make 1 exposure over a few hours and no noise reduction or stacking. Mounting 4x5 to telescope or mount directly a 14 in lens should provide a great image. Just need to make sure system is tracking flawlessly over many hours.
    My one mount can do that, my home Observatory will have a mount as well can do that. Very pricey though for home mount.

Image of scope waiting for night after I photograph sunset at Toroweep Grand Canyon. 10 in or 2,500mm fl at f/10.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6BA104C5-6A0E-4EDD-8C0E-F84F3F997667.jpg