Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 90mm Angulon arrived

My 90mm Angulon arrived

As was half expecting the shutter is royally gummed up.
    It can be cocked, but refuses to fire.
    It won't fire via cable release because the cable release cannot be depressed! But if I set it on any speed I can cock it, it opens up and closes whenever it feels like doing so.
    There is a "B" but no "T" setting. This is my first Synchro Compur so I'm a bit leery of doing anything to cause further mischief.
    Other than sending it off to a tech, are there any suggestions?
    The only caution I've read is to never open one of these up from the back lest the shutter blades create some calamity.

Any suggestions? Will Ronson lighter fluid harm Synchro Compurs?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: My 90mm Angulon arrived

Lighter fluid might free it up in the short term....I've used it in an emergency on a Synchro-Compur. Run a drop down the back of the cocking lever and try to work it.

I have had several of these shutters,and currently have 3. Forget the lighter fluid. Send it to a shutter repair facility and get a tood CLA, then it should last your lifetime;

I have two lenses with Synchro-Compur shutters. They both worked when I bought them used, but I may have soaked them anyway in 95% denatured alcohol, followed by white gas (Coleman fluid, naptha). I have bought other shutters that came in very sticky, and this soaking has worked to free them up. I test the speeds once a year or so, and they are stable, except for one of the shutters (Kodak Flash Supermatic on a 135 mm WF Ektar) that I sent out for a CLA (Carol Flutot), where one speed drifted about 100% some months later. She did a great job, but it shows that even the best CLA may not guarantee a lifetime of trouble-free shutter operation.

I also sprayed some WD-40 in a tiny, capped jar, and let it sit for many days. The liquid that sits above the solids that settled-out is a very fine lubricant. I have used this very, very sparingly on the shutter mechanism on most of the lenses after I soaked them as above.

Most of my lenses get used at least a few times a week all summer and fall. I use the WF Ektar the most. They work on cold winter days too.

John, sounds like you're in for a $150 repair on a $40 lens. Why don't you use it like a barrel lens for some shots, well stopped down, hat shutter and see if you like the darn thing. Here's a link to the solvent I use. n-hexane, heptane, acetone or some equally cancer causing sounding name. (you might not even be able to get it in cal) Leaves no residue and attacks no phenolic parts. Use it outdoors a few times a year, it's not gonna kill you. Works excellent (usual disclaimer ymmv) Also does magic on stuck apertures on Cooke lenses that had billionth of an inch clearances, and also has freed up barrel halves that nothing else would get loose. I have one 14" Gundlach Radar barrel that I've been soaking off and on for a couple of years. One of these days she's gonna break loose.

Thanks guys!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Mr. Galli's advice about trying it as a barrel lens is good. Then if it works for you, picture-wise, let a tech service it properly. I'm sure that it will be worth that effort, and will pay you back with (even) better pictures.

I've cleaned a lot of shutters by dissassembling them, applying lighter fluid, cleaning out parts individually with a q-tip soaked in lighter fluid etc. Most of the time it works, but for some reason I've had two Synchro Compurs that came with Angulons I've never gotten to work correctly, the slow speeds were always too slow. It could be the springs were simply too weak, or there is some Synchro Compur secret not known to me. So this could very well end up being a barrel lens for you I'm afraid without professional help.

If the Synchro-Compur shutter you have is anything like the Compur-Rapid shutters I've serviced, then they are NOT difficult to clean and restore. If you want to get an idea of whats involved, I suggest you watch this three installment video tutorial from Chris Sherlock. I learned to service Retina cameras from studying Chris's excellent videos.

If you do decide you don't want to risk disassembly of the shutter yourself, and prefer not to send it out, you can do as the others have suggested and perform a "flood cleaning" in Naphtha: remove the lens cells and submerge the shutter in Naphtha for a few hours, drain it, work the mechanism (if it will work) and repeat. Its a poor man's alternative to a proper cleaning, but you can try it and see what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I suggest you watch this three installment video tutorial from Chris Sherlock. I learned to service Retina cameras from studying Chris's excellent videos.
    Solid gold! Thanks for the link!