Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 90mm Angulon arrived

Re: My 90mm Angulon arrived

So all these methods are "shotgun" approaches to hopefully find the thing that will "fix" the problem and not start new ones... (Like fuming poison in your home to kill one bug...)

There are several reasons a shutter can start running slow, then stopping, and where even normal operation can damage it due to undue forces applied to it...

If you haven't had a CLA applied to it recently, it's like starting a 50, 60, 70 etc year old car without service... Bad idea... A series of mechanical linkages have to move free, and not just move but has to hold time tolerances for proper exposure...

I'm a tech (but only for private projects), and I know there are others have figured it out, but most will probably damage a unit if attempted... For instance, how would you know if iris blades are not metal, but paper or other materials that would be damaged by a solvent flush or soak??? And there are other devils in the details too...

$100 for a proper CLA is not much compared to a cheap car repair or dentists bill, and will give long life and use from the shutter...

Why chance it if you have no idea what you are doing???

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Solid gold! Thanks for the link!
    You're welcome. Chris's videos are a wealth of information on the servicing of the Retina cameras. Well worth watching even if you're just curious how these cameras are made.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    So all these methods are "shotgun" approaches to hopefully find the thing that will "fix" the problem and not start new ones... (Like fuming poison in your home to kill one bug...)

There are several reasons a shutter can start running slow, then stopping, and where even normal operation can damage it due to undue forces applied to it...

If you haven't had a CLA applied to it recently, it's like starting a 50, 60, 70 etc year old car without service... Bad idea... A series of mechanical linkages have to move free, and not just move but has to hold time tolerances for proper exposure...

I'm a tech (but only for private projects), and I know there are others have figured it out, but most will probably damage a unit if attempted... For instance, how would you know if iris blades are not metal, but paper or other materials that would be damaged by a solvent flush or soak??? And there are other devils in the details too...

$100 for a proper CLA is not much compared to a cheap car repair or dentists bill, and will give long life and use from the shutter...

Why chance it if you have no idea what you are doing???

Steve K
    This is good general advice, but the OP said he had a gummed-up Synchro-Compur shutter, which has metal blades, and asked if there was anything else to try besides a CLA. So I think some of us at least had this in mind when responding.

A CLA is no guarantee that speeds will be back to specifications (none of the ones I had done came back good as new) and the shutter will be trouble-free, but it's still a better gamble than DYI with little or no knowledge or skill. Also, parts are getting harder to get, so a broken shutter may be hard to repair or may not repairable.

Ummm . . .Acetone? While fingernail polish remover is primarily Acetone it may have some residual additive, so check and try it first.

Ether might also work, but agasin, check for residual aditives.

I always send my shutters to Professional Camera Repair in Houston.

http://www.professionalcamerarepair.com/
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Ummm . . .Acetone? While fingernail polish remover is primarily Acetone it may have some residual additive, so check and try it first.

Ether might also work, but agasin, check for residual aditives.

I always send my shutters to Professional Camera Repair in Houston.

http://www.professionalcamerarepair.com/
    Acetone can be hard on some types of paint -- best to avoid using it.

using the bath in white gas works very well in most cases to disolven remove built up gunk.

but you still need to lubricate using the right lubes in the correct spots for it to work properly. just soaking it alone doesnt work.

the white gas soak doesnt get rid of oxidised build up in moving spots which is what happens when the shutter hasnt been used for long periods. that requires a proper tear down cla.

oh... wd40 is a wonderful lube but it reacts with brass. never use it for locks n shutters made of brass.

So a down-check for Acetone: OK, I was just guessing.

Mike at Professionasl Casmera Repair does a great complete teardown CLA. He has my heirloom/legacy Rolliflex right now.

Another wild-@$$ guess: What about a weatch maker's bath set up instead of the white gas bath?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

ultrasonic cleaners are the best way to go. but be sure to get the correct cleaner solutions.

regardless of how you get them clean, you still have to lubricate it.

some shutters run dry, others have a specific lube schedual with recomended oils n grease. if you search the net you can find the service manals for just about all shutters with very few exceptions. there are orvwere plenty of diy sites that hosted many retired repairmen with excelent instructions how to do it.

check this site for information about cleaning n repairs of watches n clocks. youll find resources for lubes tools n lots of horse sense info.

https://mb.nawcc.org

here is an article on oils...

http://www.ofrei.com/page951.html

Last edited by Paul Ron; 8-Oct-2019 at 13:53.