Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too late, too expensive for this year, but maybe the next? Little Italy and Autumn...

Too late, too expensive for this year, but maybe the next? Little Italy and Autumn...

...Leaves

I don't keep a bucket list, but there are things I'd like to do.
    One is to take my bride to see NYC(she's never been there) and I really would like to experience the Feast of San Gennaro, Patron Saint of Naples, celebrated in Manhattan's Little Italy.

I'm a sucker for festivals and Italian food so this trip could be a trifecta of sorts, but wait!
    The Feast of San Gennaro is in late September, and New England with it's famed foliage is so close, so I'm thinking "why not?"
    In late September, I've read, colors might be turning in Maine or Vermont. I have relatives in MA I haven't see in decades and MA is on the way up(or back) if NYC is our "base"so this notion is turning into a logistical conundrum. The biggest obstacle, besides money, is if my bride can get the time off from work(she's a teacher's aide)

Obviously this year is out of the question but next year isn't, or perhaps in a future year after she retires, even though my 5x7 Speeder is tugging at my sleeve right now urging me to GO! in a way only Speed Graphics seem capable of doing.

This will take a lot of planning. My big issue so far is I don't want to drive in NYC or Boston (I've driven in Boston before---never again) so I'm think of taking Amtrak "up North" hitting Boston on the way and renting a car in New Hampshire, Vermont or Maine.
    But which Amtrak? There are a bunch of Amtraks that so from NYC Northbound.

Any suggestions?
    Any suggestions about other sights to see during late September, early October in New England?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Too late, too expensive for this year, but maybe the next? Little Italy and Autum

I have stayed in NJ and taken commuter rail to NYC
    I have taken the bus such as peter pan or greyhound buses to NYC from Worcester MA

Here's a foliage forecast; looks like Sept is OK for inland / mountain areas.
    https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...6-b03491b3c290

If you fly/train/bus into Boston, you may wish to take the commuter rail to a suburb. The Airport in Boston is separate from the public transportation hubs of North Station and South Station, but there is public transportation between those places.
    The airport isn't part of the downtown, so if you rent a car at the airport, you may be able to avoid much of the traffic problem that is Boston.
    If you use Jet Blue to fly in, you could also take Cape Air (same terminal) for about $100 to a smaller rural airport and rent a car from their and avoid city driving altogether. The Amtrak to Maine is also good and starts at North Station. You should be able to rent a car at one of it's stops heading north. It can be very scenic in Maine, but it won't be leaf season on the coastal route, but it's still worth doing.

Re: Too late, too expensive for this year, but maybe the next? Little Italy and Autum

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I have stayed in NJ and taken commuter rail to NYC
    I have taken the bus such as peter pan or greyhound buses to NYC from Worcester MA

Here's a foliage forecast; looks like Sept is OK for inland / mountain areas.
    https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...6-b03491b3c290

If you fly/train/bus into Boston, you may wish to take the commuter rail to a suburb. The Airport in Boston is separate from the public transportation hubs of North Station and South Station, but there is public transportation between those places.
    The airport isn't part of the downtown, so if you rent a car at the airport, you may be able to avoid much of the traffic problem that is Boston.
    If you use Jet Blue to fly in, you could also take Cape Air (same terminal) for about $100 to a smaller rural airport and rent a car from their and avoid city driving altogether. The Amtrak to Maine is also good and starts at North Station. You should be able to rent a car at one of it's stops heading north. It can be very scenic in Maine, but it won't be leaf season on the coastal route, but it's still worth doing.
    Thanks! I'll plan on hitting the inland areas ( New Hampshire and Vermont?) at least for planning purposes then.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

All I know is, eat lobster in NYC which seems to get the best and lowest price

I was in Halifax looking forward to lobster when I found it to be more expensive than Chicago and they had only 1 claw cull, which are culled before shipping

At least that was my experience in 2010

Yesterday Sam's club in middle America had frozen 2.5 lb of 2 tails for $55. I didn't trust them as I have bought garbage lobster before.

No sale
    Tin Can

Lobster is best enjoyed on the coast of Maine or eastern Canada. I would not buy Sams club lobster either, it might not even be lobster.

Lobster prices vary greatly according to time of year. Culls should be cheaper as they are less desirable for shipping/export and are used locally. Claws are the only part of lobster I like, so I would not buy one with a missing claw.

When I was a kid in Rhode Island in the 40s, I used to walk from home across sand dunes (now suburban sprawl) to the ocean and stand by a pier as lobster gatherers would sometimes (I never figured their schedule) bring in their basket catches. Being a shoeless, raggedy, tow-head sometimes they would toss me a couple. When I got home my grandma said once, "Lobster again?" She liked flounder, fluke. I made a spear and went forth. Grandma was happy then and that was all that was really important.

I would also check the buses between NYC and Boston (Megabus is one example). Probably cheaper and more reliable. You don't want to fly out of La Guardia right now but, if flying into Boston and renting a car for a few days, consider taking subway (the T) into Boston or Cambridge and renting a car there. You can still return it to Logan and avoid the high airport fees. Also look into flying into Manchester NH or even Portland ME (which shouldn't be missed anyway).

Be aware that in addition to the T, which doesn't get you very far out, there is commuter rail which goes out much further.

Driving in Boston traffic can be healthy exercise if there is two of you. One can drive on the highway and the other can walk alongside the car. When the walker gets tired, you switch positions. And, of course, you both arrive at your destination at the same time.

I think you might find late September to early for peak foliage, even in most of Maine. So you may have to take her twice (once for the festival, once for the foliage). But I'm sure she's worth it.

NYC has great Italian food all year. Little Italy doesn't shut down either. So if you can miss San Gennaro, schedule everything later in October to catch both the foliage and the food.

Oh come on!!! Driving in Boston is a piece of cake. It's where I learned to drive so here are a few rulles of the road that most "furriners" ie not from Boston don't know.

Pedestrrians belong on the sidewalks. If you encounter one in the street (trying to cross for example) it's your duty to chase them back onto the sidewalk.

"One Way" just means "Only drive one way at a time".

The designer of Boston roads was the same guy who invented the Mobius strip. No matter where you try to go you'll find yourself passing the same place repeatedly with no progress toward your actual destination.

When the GPS gadget says to turn right you'll inevitably be presented with about 3 to 5 possible right turn opportunities. Doesn't matter which one you take because you should turn left.

Just because the GPS system thinks there's a bridge doesn't mean it's still there. Might have been torn down any time in the last 100 years but the maps were never updated.

Never try to go around the block to get back to where you were 3 minutes ago.Just back up! There's a strange paranormal force field that makes it impossible to go around a block. Better to just keep driving straight because there are a few warped spots in the local space time continuum that will take you back to where you were whether you want to go there or not.

The GPS will always go dead as soon as you enter the underground expressway so just take any exit that appeals to you and play it by ear from there.

If you're on a main street don't expect the name of the street you're on to be written on street signs at intersections unless it's an intersection with another main street (no joke about this one)

Man up, rent a car, have fun. Remember it's about the trip rather than the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Oh come on!!! Driving in Boston is a piece of cake. It's where I learned to drive so here are a few rulles of the road that most "furriners" ie not from Boston don't know.

Pedestrrians belong on the sidewalks. If you encounter one in the street (trying to cross for example) it's your duty to chase them back onto the sidewalk.

"One Way" just means "Only drive one way at a time".

The designer of Boston roads was the same guy who invented the Mobius strip. No matter where you try to go you'll find yourself passing the same place repeatedly with no progress toward your actual destination.

When the GPS gadget says to turn right you'll inevitably be presented with about 3 to 5 possible right turn opportunities. Doesn't matter which one you take because you should turn left.

Just because the GPS system thinks there's a bridge doesn't mean it's still there. Might have been torn down any time in the last 100 years but the maps were never updated.

Never try to go around the block to get back to where you were 3 minutes ago.Just back up! There's a strange paranormal force field that makes it impossible to go around a block. Better to just keep driving straight because there are a few warped spots in the local space time continuum that will take you back to where you were whether you want to go there or not.

The GPS will always go dead as soon as you enter the underground expressway so just take any exit that appeals to you and play it by ear from there.

If you're on a main street don't expect the name of the street you're on to be written on street signs at intersections unless it's an intersection with another main street (no joke about this one)

Man up, rent a car, have fun. Remember it's about the trip rather than the destination.
    ROFLMAO!