Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Is This Art?

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Posts
    386

    Re: Is This Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Sorry I've never met a lady named Nigel so yes I assumed it was a man. More importantly I was looking at the pictures and approach to which I responded. I don't care if she's a woman or man makes no difference. As to my other statements you fail to make your point.
    As we often say here for all sorts of topics. Use Google. I recommend the keywords "ear hustle."

    Nigel Poor's been actively volunteering at San Quentin for nearly 20 years. Her work there is very well known and she's loved by the inmates.

  2. #22

    Re: Is This Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    As we often say here for all sorts of topics. Use Google. I recommend the keywords "ear hustle."

    Nigel Poor's been actively volunteering at San Quentin for nearly 20 years. Her work there is very well known and she's loved by the inmates.
    Nothing against her. Nothing against the exhibition - it's rather interesting. My critique is against the current curatorial practices I have seen implemented and see going on here. I'd much rather read and see the work without being told how to consume it.

  3. #23
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,524

    Re: Is This Art?

    What is 'going on here' that you object to?

    Be specific

    Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Nothing against her. Nothing against the exhibition - it's rather interesting. My critique is against the current curatorial practices I have seen implemented and see going on here. I'd much rather read and see the work without being told how to consume it.
    sin eater

  4. #24

    Re: Is This Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    What is 'going on here' that you object to?

    Be specific

    these types of curators. Too bold to stay in their lane but often not talented enough to create their own works. They often cite Andy Warhol as a defense for their practice but conveniently ignore their massive differences in both history and actual novelty.

    They will often speak about repurposing, reframing the conversation, and activating spaces in a new way but it's all derivative of mostly french post-modernists, Derrida and Foucault are most to blame although even their writing's meanings have been usurped and twisted for others use.

    These curators more often than not make work about social issues which is one noted. I've seen this same work (prison text/pictures done by inmates) done at least 2 other times by other people. And I've seen the text over photographs format countless times and it's lost its impact on me by now.

    Curators in my opinion should focus on curation. Their exhibitions should take artists intentions into account but in contemporary times we are seeing a shift towards reinterpretation and I refuse to work with any curators that do this.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •