Thread: Looking for a brass 8x10 barrel style lens with either rotating aperture or iris

Looking for a brass 8x10 barrel style lens with either rotating aperture or iris

Hi....I am hoping to get some advice from the forum members
    I am looking for a brass 8x10 barrel style lens with either rotating aperture or iris
    I have an 8x10 wood generic European field collectors camera “Chambre De Voyage”
    My lens board opening has a diameter of 57mm (2 1/4")
    I am looking for a suitable and affordable lens.

The only advice I have been given so far is this:
    A well known lens maker (Derogy, Darlot, etc.) would work but is not important because these were inexpensive cameras. The lens formula would more than likely be a symmetrical rapid rectilinear design but most any brass barreled lens covering the 8x10 format would work. It’s important to make sure a lens you’re looking at includes the brass flange

It would help to know a specific 8x10 brass lens with a 57mm diameter which would fit my lens board

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks Nelly

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Looking for a brass 8x10 barrel style lens with either rotating aperture or iris

There are so many options, it's hard to recommend single examples, but a couple of "typical examples" would be a Euryscop Series IV Number III, or a Darlot Hemispherique Rapide (Rapid Rectilinear) no. 4. It may help to read some old catalogs, but note the "lens diameter" given is usually for the glass, so you can figure the f/stop. That means the flange will be a little bigger. Here's a typical old lens catalog:

https://antiquecameras.net/1890lenscatalogue.html

But really, it mostly depends on what you stumble across. Also, consider whether you can enlarge the hole in your lens board for a bit larger lens. That would open up a lot more options. And don't be afraid of Waterhouse stops instead of an iris. Both work well, and again, you'd have a lot more options
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Foamer

Re: Looking for a brass 8x10 barrel style lens with either rotating aperture or iris

You may have some trouble fitting a preexisting hole. Watch for rapid rectilinear lens that covers 8x10 and ask seller what outside diameter is.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Dear Nelly/Ellen!

I think this is probably an 18x24cm camera - very few were exported from Continental Europe modified to 8x10"!
    Apart from lens makers you mentioned - and a few others - retail sellers had a strong position in France and sold a lot of complete travel photography sets with "own name" lenses. Names that I have personal experience with are Pipin, Photo-Hall and Gilles - Faller. It is usually the no.3 and no.4 sizes which are made of the 18x24cm format. Hermagis numbering goes the other way - low numbers are largest! At this period - around 1900 - there were a lot of new entrants to the "serious amateur" minnions, so may lenses have their coverage engraved on the the brass.
    Here is some advert stuff from Photo-Hall when the lens included was either a periscope type or an aplanat/RR. Anastigmatics were available, but not in the economy package.
    Almost everyone equiped their travel cameras with front mounted curtain shutters, so the actual current size of the lens board hole may not be relevant.

However, I can confirm that the 57mm hole for the lens is absolutely perfect for the standard 18x24cm aplanat. The illustrated Pipin lens would fit fit exactly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Hi Thanks for the replies....I thought the camera was 8x10 as it came with a Kodak wood film back that says 8x10
    See attached photos
    I also would like to know if there are enough parts here to build into a working camera once I find a lens
    The bellows are good but not sure how to go about attaching the wood film back etc
    Cheers Nelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.22.29 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.22.16 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.21.59 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.21.51 PM.jpg  

This has been someone's unfinished project!

The camera is a complete 18x24cm camera. A previous owner has purchased an extra Kodak 8x10 item - I am not quite sure what it is - probably with the idea of modifying the back to use 8x10 film or glass plates. This can be done if you get hold of the right parts and you can do a little hobby wood-working. The Kodak item looks to be something from a Studio camera (heavy duty) and the previous owner was perhaps thinking wet plate.

An alternative is to get hold of some 18x24cm film/plate holders. Film of this format is available at normal prices from Berlin or dry plates can be ordered from J.Lane.

Thanks Steven. I will search for some 18x24cm film/plate holders.
    Do you think they will attach to the camera back easily?
    Any other advice on possible lens choices to look out for is appreciated.
    The 8x10 Kodak No.2 film loading fixture I will pass on to someone who can hopefully use it
    Regards Nelly

Going over to PM here as main content has become camera rather than lenses!