Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Redwood grid for Darkroom sink.

Drew Wiley

Re: Redwood grid for Darkroom sink.

Domaz - the company I worked for originally began with two lumber buyers for the Navy, who went into commercial partnership after WWII and started supplying the military afterwards. Not until the 70's did it significantly expand into coatings, equipment, etc, when I took on those kinds of opportunities. We held the largest stockpile of high quality kiln-dried fir and redwood in the Bay area. But for awhile, while there were still several large Naval bases on SF Bay, the Navy was a prime customer and got whatever they specified. Their fire extinguisher trainings at these bases required a certain pitch content of wood; so they'd come and buy 40K of clear kiln-dried vertical-grain fir at the time - furniture-grade, and burn it all up on a bonfire within fifteen minutes a few days later. That incensed me. But's that's just the mentality of the military. More recently, a very well known techie gazillionaire bought half the world's supply of Port Orford cedar for his house. He wouldn't like a particular feature or another, so would have up to three million worth torn down at a time during original construction, and then start over on that section of the house. Some good friends of mine built it, and we supplied everything but the cedar. Port Orford is exceptionally squirrelly dense stuff which requires a lot of thickness planing on site. The workers couldn't figure out why they could never got over their "colds" and bronchitis (tannic acid inhalation from the sawdust). The gazillionaire only lived in it a few months, and in the meantime, decided his yacht was too small, so had a wooden yacht built big enough for a full basketball court on deck; then even that was too small, so built the biggest yacht in the world out of carbon fiber. Thus enormous quantities of various species of old growth forest get chopped down just to assuage the egos of the very rich. It's always been like that. The Romans almost wiped out entire species of large mammals north of the Sahara for sake of their bloody gladiatorial shows. I don't know how much guilt I share; but over the years I've been given leftovers of various hardwoods from those big projects, and have milled them myself into picture frames etc. But it sure beats burning them. A different famous techie gazillionaire/philanthropist ordered custom porch benches made of select endangered tropical hardwood by a local furniture maker to the tune of 40K apiece, about a dozen at a time, but didn't want to bother using marine finishes, so every six months threw them out after the wood began to discolor, and ordered a new set. Waste, waste, waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    plus one

i remember redwood picnic tables
    We had some nice ones in our USFS campgrounds -- and could order replacements made with fallen old-growth from the State Parks.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Now the NP tables are molded recycled poly/sawdust composite, much like Trex decking. They stain with grease just as bad too.