Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Question on Lens Boards & Shutters

A Question on Lens Boards & Shutters

Hello,

Fairly new to the forum. I have purchased my first LF camera - a Chamonix and im now on the lookout for a lens. I've decided on a Schneider Kreuznach Apo Symmar-s 210mm f5.6, however I'm a little confused over what lens board I require.

My understanding is that the Chamonix will only accept Linhof boards? Meaning my options are to buy a lens already fitted to a Linhof board, or buy the lens separately and fit it to the Linhof board. I see that some are already fitted with Copal shutters each with their own speeds, is there any other difference to the shutters other than speed? Are different copal shutters suited to different uses?

Thanks.

Re: A Question on Lens Boards & Shutters

Sigh.

This forum has resources that you should use. Click on LF Home Page, the button is the top of the page. Then visit and read the FAQs.

There's another resource that's not quite as easily found. The lenses section of the Forums has a sticky "Where to look for information ..." The first post in that discussion has a link to a large list of links to interesting places, also a list of books on LF that are frequently recommended. Links there will answer your shutter questions and save a lot of typing by people who want to help you. Buy one of the books -- they're not very expensive used from, e.g., sellers on abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, bn.com, ... -- and study it.

That lens will be mounted in a 1 size shutter.

That means:

1: buy a lens already in a Linhof board.
    2: buy a lens not in a Linhof board.
    3: buy a Linhof board with a 1 hole.
    4: buy a Rodenstock lens wrench.

5: if necessary, unscrew rear element and then use the wrench to remove the shutter from a non Linhof board.
    6: otherwise unscrew rear element from your lens.
    7: unscrew retaining ring from shutter.
    8: put rear of shutter through hole in Linhof board.
    9: put retaining ring on rear shutter threads and tighten with lens wrench.
    10: carefully screw rear element into the back of the shutter.

Very easy to do and faster then reading the above.

Keep your fingers off the glass!
    If you find a thin shim washer when you remove the rear element be sure to replace it!

Chamomix makes very nice lens boards for their cameras, so that’s another option.

Roger

Chamonix takes Linhof style lens boards. Chamonix makes their own boards out of carbon fiber. They are pricey. Genuine Linhof boards will also fit. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative then there are other manufactures that make Linhof style boards. Some of these are better than others. Many will not work on a Linhof camera due to tolerances. They may or may not work on your Chamonix. I don't own a Chamonix but do use Linfof style boards on my Wehman camera. I've used Shen Hao brand Linhof style boards on my Wehman reduction board and they work fine on my camera. I don't know about Chamonix. I suspect they would be fine. I bought mine from Badger Graphics. You can call them and ask if they will work on your Chamonix. If you buy used boards off eBay, they may fit or may not fit.

Scroll down to see the boards or lens panels.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencar...y&path=2_22_95

Copal shutters come in different sizes to fit different lenses. Copal 0, Copal 1, and Copal 3 are the most common. Lens boards come in different sizes to fit different size shutters.

As Dan suggests. Read the FAQs and you will learn a lot.

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are starting out I will recommend a good reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Using-View-Ca.../dp/1626540772

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I routinely made lens boards for the LF cameras I've used. If you have modest woodworking or metal working skills, it is easy. Many lens boards have features that aren't really necessary. Analyzing your camera's lens board requirements or asking detailed questions here may simplify making your own.

Lens boards and shutters all sound confusing, but there are tons of resources here, as others have posted. Reading the FAQs and guides that have been posted and maintained over years is to your advantage. LF requires discipline and perseverance. You can’t go wrong by buying Using the View Camera and taking a LF workshop or dozen.

Any question asked on the basics here will be met with polite and helpful responses, but the assets that exist already have tons more content / value per word in more coherent packaging than any single Q&A post.

Thanks for posting here vs Facebook, where the forums are full of lazy beginners who want to master LF in a day (or whatever). LF is. Slow process that rewards the diligent student well. Welcome to the pool- the water’s great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I routinely made lens boards for the LF cameras I've used. If you have modest woodworking or metal working skills, it is easy. Many lens boards have features that aren't really necessary. Analyzing your camera's lens board requirements or asking detailed questions here may simplify making your own.
    I am with Jim on this. I use simple flat boards that I cut from carbon fiber on my Chamonix. Many on this forum will scoff and tell you that it won't work or that you need a circular light trap on the rear side, but I've been using mine for a few years now and have had no light leaks or other issues.

Always state which exact camera you are using. I assume it is a 4X5 Chamonix and not their ULF, the 4X5 is made to use this exact lensboard. The real original. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ard_for_1.html

That's actually a lower price than they used to be.

Many perfectly good ones are available used.

Also many much cheaper on ebay.

I have bought many Linhof 'type' lens boards and be aware there are many different types of Linhof lens boards.

Last month I bought 9 Linhof 'type' lens boards from eBay and paid about $50 delivered. That bargain is now gone. They work perfectly.

Recently a member here posted his youtube video and his opinion of these lensboards. It was positive. I suggest you watch all his videos. https://youtu.be/uWOLlahcj3Y

This exact board. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luland-Linh...kAAOSw2cVasMGC

I have not bought those, but I will when I need more.

I also have made many lensboards some very big and heavy for huge lenses. Hole saws, aircraft plywood, basswood reinforcing, light traps, and glued up with wood glue. Matt black paint.

Any saw handy, no power tools except for the hole saw.

I have also made quick test lens boards from black matt board...with only a razor blade.
    Tin Can