Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport Film Hand Check

Re: Airport Film Hand Check

I hope you don't mind if I use this thread to update you all about this:
    https://petapixel.com/2019/10/21/bew...r-camera-film/

Does anyone have very recent experiences with this?

As some of you may know (I opened a thread about my trip months ago) I'm about to fly to LAX in a couple of days from Italy (stopover in Frankfurt).
    I'm very very concerned about film now. I'll be going through the security checkpoint at LAX on my return flight and obviously I'll have my 4x5 film boxes with the original seals broken.
    How am I going to go back home without having a thousand dollars worth of film fried?
    Even if I ask for a hand check, should I provide them with my changing bag?
    This thought is already ruining my vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by afxstudio View Post
    I hope you don't mind if I use this thread to update you all about this:
    https://petapixel.com/2019/10/21/bew...r-camera-film/

Does anyone have very recent experiences with this?

As some of you may know (I opened a thread about my trip months ago) I'm about to fly to LAX in a couple of days from Italy (stopover in Frankfurt).
    I'm very very concerned about film now. I'll be going through the security checkpoint at LAX on my return flight and obviously I'll have my 4x5 film boxes with the original seals broken.
    How am I going to go back home without having a thousand dollars worth of film fried?
    Even if I ask for a hand check, should I provide them with my changing bag?
    This thought is already ruining my vacation.
    I saw that article today, and found this TSA website. I searched and found that at my home airport (Atlanta), it looks like 2 CT scanners are in place in the International Terminal. It looks like we now have to do research before traveling to see if these scanners are in place or look for the blue LED illuminated machines.

https://www.tsa.gov/computed-tomography

Of course, the question remains how to get the film home. Do we know if/when such scanners are used but uSPS, or other carriers like UPS, FedEx or DHL? It looks like the PITA factor of shooting film and getting it home has just mag fiord severalfold...quite unfortunately.

Les

Wonder if TSA "precheck" will work better for this ?

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post

Les
    I have Precheck and there were no CT scanners that I can recall in Atlanta, though I'm not sure this will remain the case. I can envision TSA wanting to "automate" all bag scanning, which of course you do with x-rays, radiation or magnetism. And if those tools happen to affect a negligible bunch of travelers...they won't care. This is definitely concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post

Les
    Precheck as of now allows you to keep your shoes on, use the metal detector gate instead of the scanner, and you can leave your electronics and liquids in the bag, but that bag still goes through the X-ray system, so it won't help. From what I read, Atlanta has only installed the new CT scanners in the international terminal so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Precheck as of now allows you to keep your shoes on, use the metal detector gate instead of the scanner, and you can leave your electronics and liquids in the bag, but that bag still goes through the X-ray system, so it won't help. From what I read, Atlanta has only installed the new CT scanners in the international terminal so far.
    Anne, I’ve found no fogging or “sine wave ghosts” in any of the sub800 speed film I’ve sent through scanners. Not yet courages enough to try the box of Tri-X that got checked by accident. The problem of what to do with exposed film (hand check request has backfired in the past, as no factory seal is present) and inconvenience of maybe not being able to load at home is on my mind.

Do we really need 3D visibility into all possessions in a bag to “keep us safe”? Different question, I suppose.

I’m going to Malaga Spain in a few weeks from Belgium (Antwerp). I got still no idea Film or Digital. Last year The young people at the airport told me that film is save in a scanner up to 1600 ISO. At least they know it was film.
    I have contacted a shop in Malaga who can sell me film, develop but don’t send me the negatives to Belgium. But a digital file is possible, not even an idea of this is a .jpg.
    It’s getting more and more difficult.

Since I will never fly again

I don't have your problem

However is it worth any risk?

I am waiting for a new NIKON

Next month I will spend 3 days in forest

I will have both NIKON

and tiny 4X5 BW
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    However is it worth any risk?
    Well, that’s the question, I would say no. All the hassle at the airport, trying to get those people to understand it.
    And as I have fear of flying (alway take a pill before lift-off) this is something I rather avoid. Going to dust-off my Nikon D750.
    Enjoy your 3 day’s in the forest.

Good luck!

I used to be terrified of flying (although my first flight when i was 5 on a 4 engine propeller plane was kind of fun...)

Then one day I was at a bus terminal waiting for a bus from NY to Boston - and had a sudden change of heart and left the terminal and flew home After that - no problem in a few thousand flights including over 300 round trips between US and Japan. I don't recommend a pill before the flight though, a good brandy is much nicer. And the only place I ever had film ruined by X-ray was New Zealand long before they modernized the airport, CT scan of my film though does sort of scare me. Maybe I'll stick a roll under my gown next time I have one and see what really happens.