Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horseman lens boards for Sinar Norma

Re: Horseman lens boards for Sinar Norma

Sinar lens boards that have the cast in Sinar Logo. IMO, these are the ones to use.

Bernice

Between here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    There are two styles of green Norma boards. The originals just had a ridge running around the edge / ... /.
    I also noticed these two variations, when rummaging around on the 'Bay. I have also seen black lens boards with the older Sinar logo (transition variation, perhaps?).
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Many years ago, while building up my lens collection, acquired some generic "Horseman/Sinar" boards for my Sinar Normas. They were quasi-useable... definitely thicker than original Norma boards. So over probably the past 2 years just kept on looking for OEM Sinar boards that were up for auction. In the end acquired 6 Sinar Norma boards which my current set of lenses are mounted on. Also was able to acquire 3 uncut OEM boards, which will be used when and if I ever acquire more lenses. OEM Sinar boards are out there to be had, you just have to be patient and immediately pounce on buying them when you find them up for auction. Up side for me was that all the boards that were up for auction were at Buy-It-Now prices so I never had to get into any bidding wars. Beware of unbranded generic new "Sinar" boards... bought 2 of them once and ended up tossing them because of their sloppy/loose fit.

I recently bought 2 Linhof to SINAR lens boards.

Both like new OE.

The SINAR is thinner where it counts at the outer edge.

The Horseman is 0.020" thicker right there. It is too tight in my cherry SINAR front frame.

The Horseman has reinforcing ribs cast in. Looks stronger to me.

I converted some big cameras to use Horseman frames on their bigger lens boards for heavy lenses. Those can use either.

My systems work fine for me.

I don't use the machined ones somebody made...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

True Sinar boards are die cast and very stiff and strong; there is no need for supplementary ribs. The perimeter light-tight channels also function to reinforce their rigidity.

Some very good advice here. But I have to add that I have a mix of Sinar and Horseman boards. I've had no problems at all with with either.
    I'll also add that I really miss my Norma!

Drew Wiley

There are a few things about the Norma that don't operate quite as smooth as later Sinars, like how lensboards lock in; but still, it's my overall favorite series of Sinar.

Between here and there

The cheapest one I could find was a newer style board, and from some trying testing in the morning, it seems to be a better fit. Good to go, I think for the time being. But I will keep an eye out for an original Norma board.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."