Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred Format, and why?

Re: Preferred Format, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    . . .

IMHO "5x7 is an interesting compromise between 4x5 and 8x10". https://www.largeformatphotography.info/5x7.html

Close to have all advantages of both 4x5 and 8x10, and way less the drawbacks. . . .
    I've often thought of using 5x7, but cropping the negative to a 4x5 aspect ratio. (So, 5x6.25.) Effective area of 27.5 sq-in, versus about 17.25 printable area for 4x5. That's an increase in area of 60% for this expanded negative.

Indeed, a nice compromise, versus going to 8x10.

Of course, this requires a larger enlarger, etc. So if not practical, at least interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I've often thought of using 5x7, but cropping the negative to a 4x5 aspect ratio. (So, 5x6.25.) Effective area of 27.5 sq-in, versus about 17.25 printable area for 4x5. That's an increase in area of 60% for this expanded negative.

Indeed, a nice compromise, versus going to 8x10.
    Yes... if one ends enlarging to 16x20 paper a 57 negative it is what actually happens !

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I've often thought of using 5x7, but cropping the negative to a 4x5 aspect ratio. (So, 5x6.25.)
    I think I remember Ken Lee mentioning that he does that as well. I'm not sure if he does that primarily for "portrait orientation" shots, but one thing I've noticed is that 5x7 vertical landscapes often strike me as too skinny and crowded. On the other hand, I usually don't read "horizontal" 5x7 landscapes as noticeably wider than 4x5--and for some reason, it seems a great format for still lifes...it seems to sort disparate objects and their spatial relationships very elegantly.

I like 5 by 7 because the aspect ratio is close to 35 mm, which I really like a lot. And I like the size of the cameras and equipment. The film is big enough to see what's going on but the cameras aren't unbearably large. 8 by 10 makes me feel like I have to stand too far away behind the camera to see what's going on and 4 by 5 just looks small. To me.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I've never liked the 2x3 ratio of 35mm either. I usually print 8x10 so always have to leave a little room to crop. I just realized I've been subconsciously doing the same with my 4x5" and I don't need to!

I recently picked up an RB67 and after doing a shoot with the DSLR, RB67 and 4x5 I felt that the RB67 was the best compromise. The 4x5 was so cumbersome, but the extreme heat that day may have had something to do with it. After developing and printing, I really appreciated the 4x5 negs again and wish I'd shot more with it. I can't imaging going any bigger than 4x5 at this point though.

I don't know, different tools for different jobs I guess, but I'm having a lot of fun with the RB67 right now.

I chose 5x7 long ago because it was more economical as many photographers downsized to 4x5. Then the darkroom and 5x7 Elwood enlarger burned up, and I joined the smaller camera crowd. Now most of my photos are distributed digitally, so film is neglected. The better image quality of film, even 35mm, is missed.

Working backwards from finished print size, given the preference of about 10"x14" or about 14"x20" B&W prints enlarged no more than 3X. Then consider the enlarger size and all related darkroom stuff related to making prints of this size and no more than 3x enlargement. Add the availability of optics, camera size and all stuff related results in a 5x7 or 13x18cm camera. Requirement for the camera is to have as much capability to deal with most any lens or optic to be used with or without shutter (lens in barrel), a very wide variety of accessories and compatibility of most any thing made for the duration of the camera's production life, results in a Sinar.

Why limit B&W prints to no more than 3x enlargement, it has to do with overall image quality of the print. I'm absolutely sure more than a few will completely disagree on this. For color, greater enlargements are tolerable, but not color is really viable IMO today given the limitations of non-digital color print materials today and I've completely lost interest in producing color prints of any variety.

Except 5x7 or 13x18cm is not the answer to all image-making needs. There is roll film 6x9 which can do well as with various digital formats which IMO work really well for microscope and macro images. Essentially, format size does depend on print size and image needs.

Bernice

Paul Caponigro turned me on to 5X7 years ago...and I continue to prefer this format to this day. Nice aspect ratio for landscapes/seascapes. Reasonable logistics for backpacking/traveling. Enough film area to print up to 40X60 (if I'm careful!). Relatively easy to find good, relatively modern lenses with enough coverage without breaking the bank. Great also in combo with my Zone 6 series 2 enlarger. Good darkroom logistics generally. My favorite film in this format (FP4+) still easy to come by at a good price...although like many others on this forum - I do wish that TMY were more available/accessible in this format.

BTW, a Durst 138 works well for 35mm to 13x18cm. Sizable enlarger with a film holder that is very functional and easy to use even at 35mm. Floor space wise, the Durst 138 is similar to a table top enlarger without the table and ya get significantly improved enlarger head to board distance and stability.

Cannot say this about a Durst 184 which is just THAT much larger in every way. Not just the size of the Durst 184 or similar GOOD 8x10 enlarger, the floor area for a GOOD 8x10 enlarger is very significant. IMO, the better way to get THE most out of a 8x10 film negative is make contact prints. If the film is projection enlarged, the challenges of printing using 8x10 film is quite significant.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Paul Caponigro turned me on to 5X7 years ago...and I continue to prefer this format to this day. Nice aspect ratio for landscapes/seascapes. . . .
    Tuan Luong has mentioned that he likes the 5x7 format. When I saw his book, Treasured Lands, I could see why. 5x7 gives that little extra dimension to his really beautiful photographs.

Perhaps I like 4x5, because I tend to frame in on one aspect of a scene in my compositions.

Hmm. Interesting. I think I just learned something.