Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
That's wild. I think of the endless effort I spent trying to get my department to upgrade any of our gear.... sigh. Things were better downtown!
That test studio was something heavily involved in troubleshooting film. The first time there I was the Product Manager for Rollei Studio Lighting in 72. The Rollei studio strobes were the first ones that had UV coated flash tubes, titanium coated reflectors, halogen modeling lamp centered within the flash tube both covered with a frosted glass dome and constant flash duration at all output settings.
When Earl Cage received complaints from photographers that the grooms tux or the bridesmaid’s dresses or the mothers shoes or any other change of color shooting Kodak color film with strobe he would ask for the shoe or dress or tux, etc. and photograph them with the Rollei studio strobe and then with whatever brand flash the photographer used.
Almost invariably the material did not change color with the Rollei unit but did with the other brands. Then they would send the photographer the test shots and explain that the color shift was caused by the UV from their flash.

The only color shift with strobe that we could not fix was at the Jello factory in DE. They would photograph a sample from each batch for QC. No matter what light source or film was used grape Jello always came out the wrong color. So that turned out, after 2 days, a film problem. Like those blue flowers that also did that.