Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Montanus, a Kodak Colorama Photographer, Dies at 92Rip

Neil Montanus, a Kodak Colorama Photographer, Dies at 92Rip

Tin Can

Re: Neil Montanus, a Kodak Colorama Photographer, Dies at 92Rip

The man behind the camera, nice to hear about those photographers who did work like this. I meant Ozzie Sweet, who also made a few of those large murals for Kodak many years ago at a photo convention in Los Angles.

It was nice reading about this guy and his work. Very inspirational. I saw a couple of the coloramas but not enough of them. Boy I'm getting old.

He was a quiet hero to we photographers at Kodak, and in the local photo community. I was in the (relatively) minor leagues of gov't contracting, and never worked at the big corporate studio downtown where Mr. Montanus was the Man.
    I met him once, about ten years ago. It was at the annual airshow on the grass strip at Geneseo; I was walking the flight line when this older guy said to me "You're still shooting film?" (I had a Nikon F3.) We introduced ourselves and had a nice short conversation. Very down to earth guy, for all his accomplishments. RIP!

I should also add that the 8x20 Deardorff used for the Coloramas now belongs to the George Eastman Museum. It was on display a few years ago as part of a Colorado exhibit and believe me, it's a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I should also add that the 8x20 Deardorff used for the Coloramas now belongs to the George Eastman Museum. It was on display a few years ago as part of a Colorado exhibit and believe me, it's a monster.
    Ken Hough says Deardorff made 35 of these cameras for Eastman for the Coloramas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Somehow I doubt that... they couldn't possibly have needed more than two. But the 1950s-80s were the 'glory days' of unlimited budgets, at least in that part of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Somehow I doubt that... they couldn't possibly have needed more than two. But the 1950s-80s were the 'glory days' of unlimited budgets, at least in that part of the company.
    The 8x20’s were used in the 1950’s for sure. They also used 8x10’s and I saw a photo with a a Deardorff 8x10 used for one. Ken says the records for how many Deardorff 12x20/8x20 cameras were made is sketchy but he did say they made 35 for Eastman. There were 565 Coloramas made in total.

http://www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com/V20/V20html.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    The 8x20’s were used in the 1950’s for sure. They also used 8x10’s and I saw a photo with a a Deardorff 8x10 used for one. Ken says the records for how many Deardorff 12x20/8x20 cameras were made is sketchy but he did say they made 35 for Eastman. There were 565 Coloramas made in total.

http://www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com/V20/V20html.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They had a bunch of them in the test studio last time I visited Earl.

That's wild. I think of the endless effort I spent trying to get my department to upgrade any of our gear.... sigh. Things were better downtown!