Thread: Pouring without spilling?

Question Pouring without spilling?

Probably a stupid question, I did some searching but didn't find anything related.

I bought some of those glass bottles in various sizes plus some marbles to keep them topped off. But whenever I pour, the liquid dribbles down the side (quite a bit) before it starts going into the other container. Is there a trick to prevent this? Only thing I can think of is to put my finger over the opening and turn it way over before slowly letting it out.

Re: Pouring without spilling?

If the other container is empty, tip it nearly level and rotate the two containers vertically slowly so it pours smoothly. Sorta like you have to do with gas cans.

On occasions with a wide bodied bottle and a small opening, pouring in to a measuring cylinder for example, I pour the large bottle in to a wide funnel. The funnel is easily manipulated to catch and direct the liquid where it needs to go. There is also a balance between pouring too slowly and having a tsunami across the bench of course, but it is do-able. If in doubt, try out the options with plain water first!

If you don't need much volume out of the bottles, syringes can be a good way to go as well.

Try using a glass stirring rod held firmly across the mouth of the pouring vessel/bottle if a syringe is too small or unavailable. Eliminates all but the tiniest drips. Takes a few tries to get the hang of it. Works like a charm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnel?????
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Another possibly with smaller mouth glass bottles is those spouts you see on liquor bottles in bars, that only allow a stream to flow out of them...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Another possibly with smaller mouth glass bottles is those spouts you see on liquor bottles in bars, that only allow a stream to flow out of them...

Steve K
    Or olive oil spouts work too. Can find both at kitchen outlet stores fairly cheap cause you will need several - do not use for different chemicals. After a few hundred pours you get used to the tilt and timing without the spouts.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, doing like jp suggested, with or without a funnel, and holding the bottle right up to the edge.

I remember the glass stirring rod trick from chemistry class. I only have a plastic paddle stirrer but I have a glass thermometer which I tried without success

The pour spout thing is an interesting idea, I'll have a look for some of those.

Put required amount into beakers for the session. You can pour those all day long without hassle.