Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at two lense for 4x5 to 8x10

Looking at two lense for 4x5 to 8x10

APO-GERMINAR 600mm f9 JENA Large Format LENS Carl Zeiss Rodenstock Artar Ronar,
    Saw this on ebay for like 330 bucks. Good lens or crappy lens? Can it cover 8x10?

Really considering this lens. Have been for a while. Lens Voigtlander Universal Heliar 4.5/36cm 360mm 2800 bucks. Been on sale for a while. Maybe can get price down.

Re: Looking at two lense for 4x5 to 8x10

How about this: Kodak Ektar 12" (305mm) F4.5 Lens in Ilex #5 Shutter (ULTRA FAST, COATED, 8X10), 1200 dollars and shutter can be use for the Voigtlander as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Saw this on ebay for like 330 bucks. Good lens or crappy lens? Can it cover 8x10?
    Fine lens but in barrel. Covers 8x10. skgrimes might be able to put it in a shutter for you.

The 3 lenses you are thinking about are very good.

Buy carefully. Research the seller.

Right after you buy any lens someone here will brag about how they bought for 20% of your purchase—

Ignore that!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Fine lens but in barrel. Covers 8x10. skgrimes might be able to put it in a shutter for you.
    Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The 3 lenses you are thinking about are very good.

Buy carefully. Research the seller.

Right after you buy any lens someone here will brag about how they bought for 20% of your purchase—

Ignore that!
    Will do.

This is a process lens, it may not be well optimized for infinite focus. I had to be made in the sovietic block, so QC could be less tight than in western germany was. It looks it's not multicoated, it may have "some kind" of coating.

The most interesting thing is the rings it has, that are not intended for LF view cameras. That gearing suggests it was not a taking lens at all.

I have Lomo O-2 600mm that it is much better than I thought it could be...

I don't like that workding in the offer: "AS IS, no returns, no refunds, please!" So it should be bought by somebody understanding what is this about,

Really considering this lens. Have been for a while. Lens Voigtlander Universal Heliar 4.5/36cm 360mm 2800 bucks. Been on sale for a while. Maybe can get price down.
    The Universal Heliar is impressive for portraiture, sadly it is collectible so price is high. With it you have a large aperture, a supreme bokeh and a ring to add spheric aberration, adjusting coma to soften the image to the point you want. If you are to shot landscapes with all in focus then you will have no benefit and you'll experiement several drawbacks, like MC lack.

How about this: Kodak Ektar 12" (305mm) F4.5 Lens in Ilex #5 Shutter (ULTRA FAST, COATED, 8X10), 1200 dollars and shutter can be use for the Voigtlander as well.
    I love my 12" f4.5 Kodak Ektar lens. I have the exact same lens/shutter as the one you are referring to (on fleabay). But even if its in pristine condition, $1200. is a bit steep. You should be able to get a very clean, functional version of this for $800 or less, if you're patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This is a process lens, it may not be well optimized for infinite focus. I had to be made in the sovietic block, so QC could be less tight than in western germany was. It looks it's not multicoated, it may have "some kind" of coating.

The most interesting thing is the rings it has, that are not intended for LF view cameras. That gearing suggests it was not a taking lens at all.

I have Lomo O-2 600mm that it is much better than I thought it could be...

I don't like that workding in the offer: "AS IS, no returns, no refunds, please!" So it should be bought by somebody understanding what is this about,

The Universal Heliar is impressive for portraiture, sadly it is collectible so price is high. With it you have a large aperture, a supreme bokeh and a ring to add spheric aberration, adjusting coma to soften the image to the point you want. If you are to shot landscapes with all in focus then you will have no benefit and you'll experiement several drawbacks, like MC lack.
    i was wondering why it looked "weird so to speak. I will probably pull the pin on the Extar and Voigt lens. I have been wanting a Voigt for a couple of years.

I have been wanting a Voigt for a couple of years.

Me too!