Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What camera is this?

Re: What camera is this?

A member makes glass plate dry negatives almost any size. https://www.pictoriographica.com/about.html

You could mount a Packard Shutter easily, buy new or used.

Valuation is your concern not ours.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by caspalta View Post
    I got this camera on ebay, it was advertised as 8x10 but plates I ordered don't fit and the inside dimensions are actually 7 1/8 by 9 1/2. anyone got any info? or preferable a place to get plates the correct size?

also, how would I go about adding a shutter. kind of new to this all.

thanks.
    Tin Can

Deutsche Holz-Reisekamera, Wow! High price to pay for inexperience. Yes as previously suggested get your money back. Then find out all you can about camera movements and how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    Deutsche Holz-Reisekamera, Wow! High price to pay for inexperience. Yes as previously suggested get your money back. Then find out all you can about camera movements and how to use them.
    Well I did submit it for a return, and if it's worth anything I only paid $900 for it. I have a friend who knows people who do civil war reenactments and I thought it would be fun to get a camera specifically for wet plate. It seems really difficult to gauge what a good price for a camera is especially when I don't have a lot of experience with it. I'm still looking for one now as well.

You will find Civil War era wet plate cameras with correct lenses are very expensive.

Good luck and good night

Quote Originally Posted by caspalta View Post
    Well I did submit it for a return, and if it's worth anything I only paid $900 for it. I have a friend who knows people who do civil war reenactments and I thought it would be fun to get a camera specifically for wet plate. It seems really difficult to gauge what a good price for a camera is especially when I don't have a lot of experience with it. I'm still looking for one now as well.
    Tin Can

I don't really mind paying, I just don't know what the median price is since there's rarely very many for sale.

Have a look for holders like this eBay item number:113881638952, it is actually a glass plate holder and will fit in a normal spring back camera.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    Have a look for holders like this eBay item number:113881638952, it is actually a glass plate holder and will fit in a normal spring back camera.
    He doesn’t have a “normal spring back camera”.

Don't buy anything until you learn a bit more.

Below is what you don't seem to want or need for your plans. A member here does plan to make New Wet Plate holders after this event is completed.

2 hours left. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1515604

I signed on for 1 8X10 as I have 2 wood ones and all sorts of other sizes. NONE FOR SALE.

This is the same guy who makes the dry glass plates in any size.

Civil War reenactors are kinda strict about their gear...

I am not one of those people.

I am starting to work with the 1871 era forwards when dry glass plates came into mass production.
    Tin Can

Thanks Randy, unaware of the strict parameters. Figured it would make sense if you were going to fork out for a 8x10, that you may as well get your moneys worth. A camera that can take any type of film, dry/wet/film,paper, and have movements to spare. Alas I was out of line.

Great Camera.