Good day the list.

I was finally able to acquire the camera body mounting clamp for the compendium rail that fits the old Calumet 8 x 10 Black and Green Beauty cameras. There is a feature that I am curious about as it seems to not be needed. This rail mounting clamp fits over the center top of the front standard of the cameras and has two set screws which tighten against the standard to hold the mounting clamp in place.

This clamp which I am certain is the correct clamp has a large diameter hole drilled from the bottom of the clamp body up but not all the way through the clamp body. This hole "cavity" has a hemispherical internal top. This hole serves no discernible function in fixing the clamp to the camera standard and securing it.

My best thought is that it must be there for another function perhaps when it is not on the camera front standard. But I am stumped and reaching on that one.

I intend to manufacture several on these mounting clamps for my own use and a few for fellow Calumet camera and compendium owners needing one. I will do so without that large hole in the bottom unless someone can explain to me what its function is and why it makes sense to keep it.

So, the question is does anyone know why this hole feature exists on the Calumet 8x10 camera compendium lens shade clamping mount?

I can't post pictures right now as the original mount is elsewhere for the weekend.
Best

Mark MacKenzie, Alcalde, NM