Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Schneider 58mm XL OK with center filter 3c?

Re: Is Schneider 58mm XL OK with center filter 3c?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You may want to consider a color or GND filter instead/first depending on just what / how you are shooting.
    Got some Lee grads and plan on stacking these on top of the CF.

Quote Originally Posted by nlambrecht View Post
    Matt,

I use a Center Filter 3 with my 58mm Super Angulon XL. My understanding is the 3 and 3c are very similar, but I know Schneider would say otherwise. I have not noticed any major fall off when using negative film, I primarily used Kodak Ektar, FP4 and HP5.

When I got the filter a few years ago I did a test with some FP100c with and without the filter using camera movements to to show the edge of the image circle. The left photo is without the filter (I only have a bad iphone photo right now, but if you like I can upload a scanned one when I get back home this weekend).

Attachment 195202

You can see without the filter there is a large drop off, and it is reduced with the CF 3, but not completely. The horizon on the photo is straight through the center of the lens, with front rise to show the edge of the image circle while the lens is stopped down.

Also, here are links to a photos that shows the full frame with negative film:

http://https://www.nathanlambrecht.com/index/G0000qa.6.8Lcjz8/I0000o99uQXkougA There is a grad filter over the sky in this photo.

http://www.nathanlambrecht.com/index...000w1BBhXJGNCE

I hope this helps.

-Nathan
    That is a very noticeable drop off where you would expect it least (the sky). Did you stack a GND as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    I use the same Centre Filter for all of my wide angle lenses.

It is only a 1.5 stop filter - but its close enough.

If you do the maths for light fall off at cos^4, none of the Centre Filters will compensate exactly for the light fall off on any lens - even if the CF is identified to match the lens by the manufacturer.

Centre Filters are almost as rare as hens teeth - so if you think you have something which will get you close - buy it and use it.

You can always keep an eye open for the recommended filter.

Martin
    Many thanks for everyone's help and advice!

I have gone with a iiic of the auction site. It looks in mint condition and the seller has good history.

That extra 1/2 stop might come in handy when I stack a polariser and GND (90% of the time for landscapes).

I have used a IIIc with a 47 & 58 SA XL, in my experience it is adequate for both.

A couple of things you might want to bear in mind too.

Stacking filters on these ultra-wides runs a really risk of vignetting, even using a slip on filter holder (such as the Lee) over the CF.

Using a polarising filter on lenses with such a wide field of view also has the potential for uneven polarisation of the sky.

All the best
    M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan Lambrecht

That is a very noticeable drop off where you would expect it least (the sky). Did you stack a GND as well?
    Matt,

In the instant photos in my post there is no grad filters applied. This was a test only of the fall off with the Schneider CF3 on the 58mm Super Angulon XL. I have found that instant film it a bit more like slide film when it comes to dynamic range. I have not noticed any large fall off when using the CF3 filter on negative film.

OK the results are in!

Obligatory shot of the back garden...

The scan of the whole negative makes the scan too dark as the scanner tries to darken the sky (didn't use a grad):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0029-web.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	195361

However its even, and there is no need to correct for fall-off

Scanning the lower half of the negative and omitting the sky gives a much better scan:

Name:	scan0030_processed.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	195362

Lower corners don't show any fall-off, so all good.

That looks really even to my eye
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    That looks really even to my eye
    2-pass scanning to the rescue:

Name:	Scan-190913-processed.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	195419

TBH it only rescues the lower half. The sky is full of grain...

Quote Originally Posted by nlambrecht View Post
    Matt,

I use a Center Filter 3 with my 58mm Super Angulon XL. My understanding is the 3 and 3c are very similar, but I know Schneider would say otherwise. I have not noticed any major fall off when using negative film, I primarily used Kodak Ektar, FP4 and HP5.

When I got the filter a few years ago I did a test with some FP100c with and without the filter using camera movements to to show the edge of the image circle. The left photo is without the filter (I only have a bad iphone photo right now, but if you like I can upload a scanned one when I get back home this weekend).

Attachment 195202

You can see without the filter there is a large drop off, and it is reduced with the CF 3, but not completely. The horizon on the photo is straight through the center of the lens, with front rise to show the edge of the image circle while the lens is stopped down.

Also, here are links to a photos that shows the full frame with negative film:

http://https://www.nathanlambrecht.com/index/G0000qa.6.8Lcjz8/I0000o99uQXkougA There is a grad filter over the sky in this photo.

http://www.nathanlambrecht.com/index...000w1BBhXJGNCE

I hope this helps.

-Nathan
    Hi Nathan,

Many thanks for your advice.

What filter system do you use? Need to buy an 86mm adapter ring now for my Lee filter holder. Would it have to be the wide angle adapter ring? There only seems to be the standard adapter ring for 86mm, so would this work?

Thanks Matthew

Standard adapter rings and 100mm filter holders will vignette, a lot, with the 58mm.

Lee makes an 86mm to 100mm "donut" adapter that, as far as I have ever been able to tell, can only be purchased from Europe. I could be wrong. Then, you use it with their 100mm adapter that is designed for wide-angles (it slides over and tightens onto the outside of the lens/filter).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome