Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo 1349 Mountaineer Sticky Leg

Gitzo 1349 Mountaineer Sticky Leg

The middle leg section of one of the legs on my Gitzo 1349 Mountaineer carbon fiber tripod started to bind at near full extension recently which rather surprised me since I had not regularly had it in any adverse operating conditions to speak of during the time I have owned it such as salt water, fine sand or mud.

Looking at the parts schematic and taking that section apart, there really are not that many pieces within the tubes. Two plastic circular over washer pieces that fit in grooves and a brass grommet which gets tightened on to lock the lens at a particular length. I ordered a new set of the plastic over washers in hopes that this will cure my ailments. Anyone else go through a similar iteration with carbon fiber tripods that can share some of their experiences with me to get this issue resolved?

Thanks!

Foamer

Re: Gitzo 1349 Mountaineer Sticky Leg

Over time they get junked up and worn. I clean mine every now and then.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Over time they get junked up and worn. I clean mine every now and then.

Ditto on Kent’s analysis. Probably just needs a clean. Good tripod; it’s what I use most of the time.
    Kent in SD
    Keith Pitman

My gitzo carbon fiber gt 3530S 'broke' at one of the leg lock clamps 7 or 8 years ago. Think the glue around one of those circular washers you mentioned just totally gave way and stripped out. I remember being quite surprised at how cheaply made it seemed to be for such an expensive piece of equipment. I still had the receipt from B and H and sent it in for warranty repair to the manfrotto service facility in New Jersey.

It's been a while so the details are a little hazy but I feel like the repair was free but that after a month or so I called to see what was taking so long and they told me that if I wanted it fixed right away I'd have to pay a 100 fee to bump it to the front of the line. I remember being pretty annoyed but paying it just to be able to get it back in a timely manner. I probably could have superglued it myself. It wasn't impact damage I think I had simply been overtightening the locks.

Now I always make sure to be really gentle...

Clean all the parts. If any are damaged, they can be replaced. Lightly lube just the metal threads. If the collars themselves ever start to un-thread from the carbon fiber, which I had happen, it can be re-glued with JB Weld epoxy. It works great.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Clean all the parts. If any are damaged, they can be replaced. Lightly lube just the metal threads. If the collars themselves ever start to un-thread from the carbon fiber, which I had happen, it can be re-glued with JB Weld epoxy. It works great.
    What lubricant is recommended for the metal threads?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I use Super Lube: https://www.super-lube.com/
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

I once had to buff down a stubborn section with a fine Scotchbrite pad.

Thanks Peter!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    What lubricant is recommended for the metal threads?

I wouldn't put wet lube on the threads especially with al the sand I deal with. I use dry bicycle chain lube that has teflon in it. Works perfectly and doesn't attract dirt. It won't migrate if it gets hot either. I redo it every few years. You can get it at any bike store. There are a few different kinds but they are all pretty much the same, and white. Just put it on the threads and let it dry. My Gitzo still feels like it is brand new and it ain't!

https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-T...000C17HKS?th=1