Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with B&H & Foma?

What's going on with B&H & Foma?

I just ordered a large amount of LF Film and 16x20" Foma fiber based glossy Variant iii from B&H Photo. The Foma was now special order. In addition, i tried to order a box of 8x10 (100) of the same paper & it has disappeared from the B&H website. All that seems to remain are RC and matt or velvet finishes. When i queried B&H I got this answer back "Foma does not make an 8x10 glossy like the 16x20 that you recently ordered. You can use these papers instead:" Strangely i still have several boxes in my darkroom that I bought from B&H. (photo attached)
    Freestyle Photo still shows it in stock. Does any one have any ideas what's going on either with Foma or B&H? B&H has been my #1 supplier, particularly because of their free shipping to Canada. I do far prefer Foma to Ilford Classic in neutral papers. Oriental FB papers are also out of stock at BH..... Just asking.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9581.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	195127

Re: What's going on with B&H & Foma?

I thought somebody posted lately that Freestyle has the franchise and B&H must buy from them?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I thought somebody posted lately that Freestyle has the franchise and B&H must buy from them?
    Horrors!

Have you asked Foma?

It may be that B&H has stopped carrying certain cat. no.s I've ordered Foma paper from B&H that was briefly on backorder. It was less expensive from B&H than Freestyle.
    Freestyle shipping rates make no sense, it's all based on price of goods not actual costs.

Jac@stafford.net, Horrors indeed! Bob Salomon, no I haven't but it's a good idea. Duolab123, Yes, but that would be weird... I have no interest in Foma RC matt or velvet & I agree Freestyle shipping costs to Canada (esp) are over the top. I will contact Foma, since no one at B&H has stepped up and really answered my question. I'm also going to contact argentix.ca.... some fellow Canadians have had good service from them & they carry Foma. Thanks for your responses all.

I would also suspect that B&H gives certain product niches almost exclusively to Ilford (for example) in exchange for volume rebates. That's the nature of commodities, half of the business (manufacturing) is at break even to keep fixed costs in control.

Ilford HP5 11X14 film has gone up 25% at B&H in 2019.

11X14 FP4+ has gone higher and only available in 8 boxes of 25 special order.

Demand must be up and now I will buy less...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Jac@stafford.net, Horrors indeed! Bob Salomon, no I haven't but it's a good idea. Duolab123, Yes, but that would be weird... I have no interest in Foma RC matt or velvet & I agree Freestyle shipping costs to Canada (esp) are over the top. I will contact Foma, since no one at B&H has stepped up and really answered my question. I'm also going to contact argentix.ca.... some fellow Canadians have had good service from them & they carry Foma. Thanks for your responses all.
    What about Henry’s or Beau?

Bob, I'm on the other side of the country from Henry's & Beau just has Ilford. Up to this point B&H has provided very good selection & excellent service. BTW I just heard from Jacques at Argentix.ca that Variant lll FB is in production & will be available in circa 3 weeks. A much better answer than "Foma doesn't make Variant lll in 8x10." Mystery seems to be solved.