Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be interested in a large scale QR platform

Re: Would you be interested in a large scale QR platform

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    How about the Linhof quick release system? It doesn't slide in the Arca System, but it grips in a similar fashion. One could maybe attach a larger plate to the quick release portion.

I used the Manfrotto 4"x4" plate on an 8x10 Deardorff, and it held quite well.
    Linhof also makes Arca type QR systems. Been making them since 2012 or 14.

Sorry, they make heads with that style QR as well as some plates.

I use a no name Arca style that is about 3 inches long with a Jobu 5 in. plate. But the most important thing was to repurpose an old long Tilt-All handle to fit and replace the screw down gripping mechanism. This way I can tighten the mechanism off to the side of the 8x10 Deardorff base without having to fiddle in tight spaces with a short screw type or the lever type.
    I would like a plate whose underside was cut out to fit the Arca type heads but was much larger on the camera side, maybe as large as a Deardorff metal base plate. The Arca style bottom could be similarly enlarged on its surface.

"The old and forgotten Linhof 90mm round QR is fantastic only when using the complete system: Camera, tilt base mit tripod. A big round spud"

My big Linhof tripod accepts my 90mm leveling head so I don't need the "tilt base". It also accepts my ball head (Profi-III) with its 90mm base. It is a little heavy for field use, but what is another 20lbs when you have a big camera outfit to move around.

I prefer the Arca quick releases these days just because I have three tripods for different sized cameras. The Linhof older quick release that was automatic was fantastic. I still have it around but I don't use it anymore.

You don't need to make a bigger quick release system, but a bigger plate that mounted to the Arca type release would be great. I don't think I've seen any that were much larger than the actual clamp. Something that is like 4 or 5 inches would get rid of any slop. You could make them specifically for popular cameras too. That would be an easy sell.

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    I prefer the Arca quick releases these days just because I have three tripods for different sized cameras. The Linhof older quick release that was automatic was fantastic. I still have it around but I don't use it anymore.

You don't need to make a bigger quick release system, but a bigger plate that mounted to the Arca type release would be great. I don't think I've seen any that were much larger than the actual clamp. Something that is like 4 or 5 inches would get rid of any slop. You could make them specifically for popular cameras too. That would be an easy sell.
    Novoflex has lots of plates that long and even much longer,

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post

The OP said he was looking into a larger system than Arca has now. He must have his reasons. I assumed it was for larger cameras (ULF). With those the current Arca clamp cannot be easily engaged. For large cameras I don’t use a quick release. The Ries system is better. The camera screw is spring mounted and that allows attachment much easier than an Arca clamp. For small cameras (8x10 and smaller), I use Arca style heads.

Bob mentioned the Novoflex system. I mounted a Novoflex Q=Base quick release on a traditional Linhof 3-way head. Works fine and mounting a camera is much easier than using an Arca clamp. The Linhof Quickfix II is also a good system.

Any size Arca beveled plate system would benefit from a redesign that makes mounting the camera easier. Hopefully the OP can develop something that does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    ... From a fortuitous encounter I have several Deardorff base plates, some early new ones, and some with the usual scratches from users trying to find the tripod hole...
    Alas, some of us even spin the camera on the tripod head (photo below...8x10 Zone VI...it was so pretty when I bought it 34 years ago). I use the Ries A250 head and am happy with the camera directly on the head...and I find it an easy mount for even the 11x14. But I have been using the head since 1995 or 96 and one can get use to anything. The spring-loaded screw is nice, one can hear when the screw and the hole meet.

PS -- the camera gets spun on the head occasionally because the head only tilts significantly in one direction (down), so if I need to point the camera up, I need to turn the camera 180 degrees on the head. Can a camera be put on to face either direction on the QR receiver on the head? The five-sided Bogen QR don't work well that way.

Edited to add: Whoops the Bogen are 6-sided...I was thinking of something else...disregard!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackInterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    How about the Linhof quick release system? It doesn't slide in the Arca System, but it grips in a similar fashion. One could maybe attach a larger plate to the quick release portion.

I used the Manfrotto 4"x4" plate on an 8x10 Deardorff, and it held quite well.
    The above is OK for 8x10. Even then, the 4"x4" Manfrotto plates are hard to find.

More related to the original query, I think there's a need for a larger quick release system for ULF cameras. Is there anything that exists today for this purpose?

It's got to be especially awkward trying to manually mount a huge camera onto a head, or onto a tripod stage. Even 8x10's that I've seen are all scratched up on the bottom for that reason.

I've always used QR systems for all my camera systems, 35mm through 8x10. (Usually the Manfrotto hexagonal plate system.)

Even this big Arca type is hard to use. https://store.kesslercrane.com/kwik-stand-xl.html

I also lost one of it's stick on rubber feet right away.

But it's the best I have.
    Tin Can

Touch and Go System Overview:

https://youtu.be/7YsOEXwea9A
    Tin Can