Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be interested in a large scale QR platform

Would you be interested in a large scale QR platform

Hey all,

I have been playing around with an idea for a couple weeks now, but I wanted to get your opinions, as I know they can be quite varied, as to get a general consensus in terms of interest(or not).

I'm sure many here have, or still do, use a quick release system with their LF cameras. I currently do not, but anything that can help me get set up faster, I'm open to looking at least.

So, my thought is this:
    Essentially, a "scaled up" Arca Swiss style clamp and mounting plates. The actual dovetail section would be 2-3x the width of the normal Arca size, and thusly, the clamp would be wider as a result. Combine this with a larger sized plate, to help distribute weight more efficiently.

Thoughts?

Goal would be to have a system where ULF shooters could have a secure, stable platform that would allow easier mounting to the tripod.

This would not be a head itself, but a supplementary clamp and accessory mounting plates.

-Dan

Re: Would you be interested in a large scale QR platform

The biggest issue I've had with supplementary clamps and plates is getting a solid lock onto the tripod head. It seems that larger cameras exhibit greater torque and when you try to move the camera on the head, the clamp loosens. I like the idea, and would love something like that so I could more easily mount my 8x10 onto my Tele-Studex with the R5 head.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I use the arca-swiss system for smaller systems. For 5x7 and 4x10 I mount them on a Linhof leveling head with 90mm base that drops into the big tripod where it is locked in place. This makes for a simple system that is easy to take apart. I think the fewer "things" between the camera and the tripod the better.

I'm more than happy with the double-tilt Ries head. I'm not a big fan of quick release tripod systems.

I like how my new to me Sinar Norma tripod base indexes to the Sinar tilt head. But not to any tripod I have...

I love my 6X7 inch Majestic heads for their ability to use 2 camera base screws. And those screws cannot fall out and compress into the plate if necessary.

The best QR I have is the Kessler Crane which does allow 2 screw attachment, but could be longer and wider.

The old and forgotten Linhof 90mm round QR is fantastic only when using the complete system: Camera, tilt base mit tripod. A big round spud.

I have made a Linhof HD Tripod to Majestic 90mm adapter.

A bigger dovetail QR is only the beginning for big cameras.

A look at actual movie camera heads may show the way to a new product.

or not
    Tin Can

For me Arca Style clamps are not a "Quick Engagement" system. With a larger system, you want to be able basically plop the camera down and have it engage the locking system. Ever try and get a really large and heavy camera into an Arca quick release? Not fun. I agree with Randy that the movie camera heads would work better than an Arca style clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    For me Arca Style clamps are not a "Quick Engagement" system. With a larger system, you want to be able basically plop the camera down and have it engage the locking system. Ever try and get a really large and heavy camera into an Arca quick release? Not fun. I agree with Randy that the movie camera heads would work better than an Arca style clamp.
    There are automatic locking Arca type clamps, Novoflex makes a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There are automatic locking Arca type clamps, Novoflex makes a good one.
    Linhof also makes very good automatic locking quick releases.

I am thinking of bailing the Deardorff V8 from storage even though it is not by a long shot my favorite 8x10. From a fortuitous encounter I have several Deardorff base plates, some early new ones, and some with the usual scratches from users trying to find the tripod hole.

So have any of our forum members found an adequate quick-release plate for the Deardorff V8 camera? I suspect there is a clever solution beyond my feeble imagination.

How about the Linhof quick release system? It doesn't slide in the Arca System, but it grips in a similar fashion. One could maybe attach a larger plate to the quick release portion.

I used the Manfrotto 4"x4" plate on an 8x10 Deardorff, and it held quite well.