Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-D printing a Lens Cap help

Lascassas, TN

3-D printing a Lens Cap help

I have access to a MakerGear M2 3-D filament printer. I also need a lens cap for a Schneider Symmar-S 360/ 6.8 lens.

What is the process involved? From the short demo I had, 3-D printing should have many applications. Where do I start?

I see programs to print smaller lens caps. Is there one for a 120mm Symmar?

Thanks
    Bill Kumpf

Re: 3-D printing a Lens Cap help

Designing and printing a lens cap should be very simple. For a 3D CAD program, I would suggest Fusion 360 from Autodesk. It is Autodesk's simplest CAD program, and you can obtain a non-commercial or student license for free. From there, all the features you really need to know about are sketching and extrusion, and any beginner tutorial should cover those. Once modeled, you will probably need to export the file as a .stl, as that is the format most 3D printers use, but whoever owns or usually operates the printer will know more about that. If available, I would suggest using a slightly elastic filament, as opposed to a rigid one, as that will give you more wiggle room when designing the cap, and will be less likely to scratch the outside of the lens.

Once you've figured out the basics of 3D modelling, just use calipers to measure the outer diameter of your lens, which will be the inside diameter of your lens cap. You won't need very thick walls for the cap, I would imagine 2-4mm or 1/8 inch should be enough. Another benefit to using an elastic filament is that you will be able to stretch it slightly to get it onto the lens, which will give a tighter fit. One thing to keep in mind is that while 3D prints cool, they shrink slightly, meaning that you may need to do several test prints where you change the scale of your model until you get a good fit.

First, it is likely that a ready-made cap is available for your lens for under $20.

If you wish to make a lens-cap, then consider the paper and leather alternative. You can make it on your coffee table. If Google does not help you then write back here.

You do not need 3D printing just as through history it was not necessary.

Ethan, with respect you are misdirected, over-board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    First, it is likely that a ready-made cap is available for your lens for under $20.

If you wish to make a lens-cap, then consider the paper and leather alternative. You can make it on your coffee table. If Google does not help you then write back here.

You do not need 3D printing just as through history it was not necessary.

Ethan, with respect you are misdirected, over-board.
    Seems he was pretty bang on. Original Poster asked about 3D printing a lens cap. Ethan gave solid advice about 3D printing a lens cap. Not about making one from paper and leather and some nonhelpful instructions to google it.

I'm with Ethan for this particular lens. The lens cap can be made to resist any bending in the center. It's about a 2 minute job in Fusion 360 to design the cap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LensCap.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	195220

Post the inside and outside dimensions of the lens hood and I can update the file.

p.s. I would not recommend using a flexible filament as this would allow the lens cap to bend and possibly scratch the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    I'm with Ethan for this particular lens. The lens cap can be made to resist any bending in the center. It's about a 2 minute job in Fusion 360 to design the cap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LensCap.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	195220

Post the inside and outside dimensions of the lens hood and I can update the file.

p.s. I would not recommend using a flexible filament as this would allow the lens cap to bend and possibly scratch the lens.
    Doubt it would scratch, possibly scuff it.

Lascassas, TN

I am looking for a front cap for a Schneider Symmar-S 6.8/360 mm. The outside diameter of the front element is 125 mm. Filter size is 120mm. Y would think a slip on cap would need an inside diameter of 125mm plus.

I appreciate you revising the file. Thank you.
    Last edited by Bill Kumpf; 9-Sep-2019 at 10:35.
    Bill Kumpf

It's been a while since I've used Thingiverse so it's not showing images. Here's the link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3850143

Lascassas, TN

Thanks, I will try printing this week.
    Bill Kumpf

You may want to remove your email from the previous post. Spammers harvest these.

The Fusion 360 file can be adapted to any lens by editing the dimension.