Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Loading 4x5 film into holders

Video: Loading 4x5 film into holders

I made a video demonstrating how to load 4x5 film into holders. (updated URL w/new video that incorporates feedback). I realize this is probably common knowledge for folks around here, but I am often around film students in my community darkroom who have only done 35mm who I know will benefit from this info. I figured some of you may be in a similar position, so feel free to share widely; hope it's helpful!
    Last edited by grit; 13-Nov-2023 at 07:26. Reason: Made an updated video

Re: Video: Loading 4x5 film into holders

Nice presentation. A couple of comments. I don't recall if you explained the white vs dark strips and which way you insert the dark slides with the white strip out. You could also mention how the slide is inserted oppositely after the shot is taken.

You did explain the locking mechanisms at the end. But when you filmed it, you did it both during the assembly on the first holder and at the end after completing the second holder, a little confusing to someone who never did this before. The process should be consistent each time.

Having the notches on the lower left shows an extra movement as you rotate each film sheet. Wouldn't it be better to leave the film turned around when starting, or use the top right for the notch?

I personally think it's better to have the notched end of the film at the "flap" end of the film holder. When you do it that way, it's easier to "read" the notches on the film to tell what type of film is loaded, without having to completely remove the film from the holder.

This becomes important if you have loaded film holders sitting around for a while, and need to check what's in them. It's a good sanity check before you take them out for a shoot. There's nothing worse than taking out empty film holders that you thought were loaded.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Thanks all for watching! I may have to do a lengthier re-shoot at some point mentioning the exposed/unexposed indicator strips. I was taught to do notches at lower-left on the grounds that it looks better when you contact print it (with the notches at the bottom of the print)! True though that it does make it slightly harder to check that you've loaded the correct film.

Grit, A couple of other suggestions for your video. I, too, like others above, learned to load my holders with the notched edge of the sheet at the bottom or hinged end of the holder, but the way you show it you're properly loading the sheets so the emulsion side will be facing the lens and incoming light when it is exposed. However, you're not saying anything in this video about handling your holders or the individual film sheets as they are being handled so as to reduce the chance of getting (or having) dust, or bits of skin, or finger prints onto that emulsion side. I noticed that the way you handle the individual sheets your finger tips are directly contacting the emulsion as each sheet is slid into the holder, and as you check to be sure the sheet is properly aligned into the correct slot of the holder. I NEVER handle the film sheets in such a way that my finger tips will contact the film emulsion side, but only along the edges of the sheet. This is to avoid, or reduce, the chance that dust, bits of skin or oil from my finger tips might get onto that all-important emulsion side.

And then there are a lot of steps or procedures around cleaning or hygiene of the holders between uses, and use of ziplock-type bags to protect the holders after they are loaded and they will be taken into the field. But I suppose that those steps and tips would be appropriate for another, companion video to this one on loading of the holders.

Finally, while others (above) have mentioned the conventions about the white or dark strips on either side of the dark slide as to whether the film within the holder is exposed or unexposed. But I was given a tip by a more experienced LFer long ago to apply a narrow strip of gaffer's tape (or similar) on each side of the loaded holder that you can then label as to which type of film was loaded (or for extra credit you can use different colors of gaffer's tape for each type of film you like to use, so you only really need to see the tape color when you're in the field). However, when you make your exposures out in the field or studio, you can also write info onto the gaffer's tape strip about the lens used, shutter speed, aperture, lens filter used, date & time & subject exposed, AND (perhaps more importantly) DIRECTIONS FOR YOU TO FOLLOW WHEN DEVELOPING THE FILM such as "N" for normal development or "N+1", etc.). That strip of gaffer's tape can and should follow the sheet of film thereafter through your development process and your film cataloging and storage. There are other ways to make these notes and retain them in an organized fashion for future reference, but I've thought that the color-coded gaffer's tape strips with written notes on each strip was one of the better suggestions I was ever given - and (even if you prefer to mention some other technique) it would be a good thing to address in your video as the notations and record-keeping should begin at the holder-loading stage. One last suggestion or consideration for anyone using this gaffer's tape strip method for labeling each side of each loaded holder, is to consider taking the tape strip off the side of the holder you are exposing before you slide it into the back of the LF camera, as the thickness of the tape may (?) be sufficient to affect the precise focus of your camera if the strip is left on when you load the holder into the camera back. After the film is exposed, when I take the holder out of the camera back, the first thing I do is return the strip to it's position on the the top of the holder frame, and make my notes on the strip about date, time, subject, location, exposure and development details (etc.).

There's lots of other useful threads on this Forum about cleaning and hygiene and loading of film holders, but the above is enough from me for now. Thank you for making us aware of your video on this topic....
    Last edited by JMO; 22-Nov-2023 at 21:23.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Took another crack at it since top-right since to be the popular choice! Incorporated some of the other ideas here as well. Hopefully it will be more useful now. Thanks all
    Last edited by grit; 12-Nov-2023 at 18:21.

Looks good to me
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    I made a video demonstrating how to load 4x5 film into holders. (updated URL w/new video that incorporates feedback). I realize this is probably common knowledge for folks around here, but I am often around film students in my community darkroom who have only done 35mm who I know will benefit from this info. I figured some of you may be in a similar position, so feel free to share widely; hope it's helpful!
    Very nice video.

Much easier in light than in dark. The hardest part, in the dark, is finding those pesky little rails that the film goes under. I think it's best for students to practice under red safe-light using some ortho film variant, like ortho-litho, xray, or vcrc enlarging paper and wearing nitril gloves. A changing bag is also workable. Wearing gloves, those pesky rails can be felt with the other hand to insert the film under. I believe that for beginners, washing hands, then wearing gloves, and placing the holders from side to side using dominant hand to hold film and other hand to feel rails, works best. Gloves allow a more handsie way of feeling around in the dark.

One of my pet peeves is telling students which way to orient the dark slides after loading. It doesn't matter which way as long as you remember. I always place the black side out after loading since it's more logical to me and I always remember that even though it may be the opposite way others do it. To me, black means unexposed, and white means exposed. This is a personal choice that's unimportant.

I found that gloves just made it harder to feel. So now, I wash my hands to get the oil off the fingertips and then handle the film with bare fingers from the edges as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    I personally think it's better to have the notched end of the film at the "flap" end of the film holder. When you do it that way, it's easier to "read" the notches on the film to tell what type of film is loaded, without having to completely remove the film from the holder.
    also I find this more practical when unloading the film and placing them in the development tank. You know and feel where the notches are and don’t touch the film extra.