Thread: Hello from Bucks, UK!

Hello from Bucks, UK!

Hi All,

Glad to have joined this forum of enthusiasts. I've taken my first venture into LF with the purchase of a Chamonix (previously a user of MF). Looking forward to taking some portraits/documentary work with it. I'm sure ill be asking a lot of questions on here as I get to grips with the world of large format.

Best, A.

Re: Hello from Bucks, UK!

Welcome!
    Tin Can

Glad you have joined your merry band. Looking forward to seeing your work, especially, in my case, portraits. I'm reading two books on Thomas Eakins at the moment.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Glad you have joined your merry band. Looking forward to seeing your work, especially, in my case, portraits. I'm reading two books on Thomas Eakins at the moment.
    Thank you. Im actually on the lookout for a portrait lens, thinking of a Schneider Symmar-S MC 210mm 5.6. What do you use?

There are some great stances in Eakins work, it would be great to see them replicated on film.

Les

Welcome to the LF forum. I got a Sironar S 210/5.6 on a fluke.....to cover my 5x7 and almost fell off the chair when I just saw ($1100) what it was going on epay. Have prices gone up THIS much ?

Les

Unrealistic listing and BIN prices have become an integral part of Ebay and finding out what the agreed prices were is just about impossible.

For the non-uk residents (a considerable majority here!) "Bucks" is short for Buckinghamshire - a Shire/County to the North/NorthWest of London!

Yea, its definitely one or the unique features of eBay. I've just looked for this lens on it and price wise its about 500ish pounds, I look at sold listings and they're all over the place. Its definitely a waiting game (with a slice of luck)!

Welcome from Fresno

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_fullxfull.363788060_pr41.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	195310
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Welcome to the LF forum. I got a Sironar S 210/5.6 on a fluke.....to cover my 5x7 and almost fell off the chair when I just saw ($1100) what it was going on epay. Have prices gone up THIS much ?

Les
    The answer is NO. In fact prices seem soft, and 210mm lenses are ubiquitous at this point. I just had a quick look on Ebay since the OP was asking about Technica boards in another thread and found this. You take a beating in this hobby until you begin to learn, all modern "plasmat" (the Nikkor is a plasmat) lenses for the last 40 years are indistinguishable in the prints you will make. A $200 lens ready to go will produce identical results with any other $1500 new from some dealer 210mm plasmat.

For portraits, people gravitate towards older single coated (or, gasp, no coatings at all) lenses that are less harsh on their subjects than modern multi-coated plastmat types. A Fuji 250mm f6.7 might be a good length to begin with.

So much to learn. Good luck to you.