Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I take back every bad word I have said about Kodak...

I take back every bad word I have said about Kodak...

So... I decided to put my personal bias aside regarding the cost of Kodak T-Max 8x10” sheet film and buy a box. At over twice the cost per sheet compared to Ilford, I shed a tear at checkout and a few more each time I tripped my shutter.

Well... yesterday I got around to processing the first of my sheets in PMK and I now finally grasp how this film commands such a price.

Firstly, the base seems much more rigid / strong compared to other films I’ve been using. I’ve had some issues with film popping and / or sagging with other brands, so this may be a big deal to me.

Secondly, the tonal range from deep shadow to brightest highlight is phenomenal.

Thirdly, in comparison to other 400ISO emulations it’s essentially grainless.

I shoot a lot and I have a real fear now that this realisation might send me close to bankruptcy, or at least drive a real obsession with what might be achieved with the best of materials I once considered unjustifiable.

Re: I take back every bad word I have said about Kodak...

There are shots you know are worthy of your best film and equipment, vs those you shoot because you are there and have film. Hint, its rarely the first shot of the day unless you have a specific researched target in mind.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    So... I decided to put my personal bias aside regarding the cost of Kodak T-Max 8x10” sheet film and buy a box. At over twice the cost per sheet compared to Ilford, ...
    I've said for years that TMY2 is the best film ever made. Period. And it is well worth its price.

But my saying it means exactly zilch to anyone who hasn't personally experienced it. Now that you have, you know what I mean.

Bruce Watson

Yes, it is wonderful film.

When I joined this group I was not ready for the 'best', spent years using X-Ray and Arista films learning what I could, from loading holders to the rest of the process.

Many here loudly exhorted me to use 'REAL FILM'! They seemed angry. Very glad I ignored them.

Now I have all kinds of KODAK films, some in ULF.

Waste not, want not.
    Tin Can

No time was wasted with Arista when it was repackaged Iford!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I love TMAX 400 and don't use anything else, even though it is painfully expensive even in 4x5. The mind reels at what 8x10 costs.

In addition to what was said above, it has a great ability to build contrast by extended development, which is a big thing if you're into alt processes. Richard Arentz mentioned that in is PtPd book.

Not to say HP5 isn't a great film too. Some folks swear by it, and you can't argue with their results using it.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Among those who like TMY, I wonder what proportion are printing in silver in the darkroom, as opposed to scanning or working with alt-processes that want a very long density range.

For those who do like it for printing in silver, what paper(s) do you use?

Oren, I like TMY2, although i use a lot of FP4+ as well. I print on Ilford Warmtone FB, Foma Variant iii, & still occasionally on graded Fortezo, or Galerie.

Drew Wiley

Just use your favorite papers. It's a highly versatile film once you understand it. I'm currently printing MGWT, Cooltone, and Bergger Neutral, but have printed TMY on at least a dozen other papers, going clear back to the classic graded ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Among those who like TMY, I wonder what proportion are printing in silver in the darkroom, as opposed to scanning or working with alt-processes that want a very long density range.

For those who do like it for printing in silver, what paper(s) do you use?
    First off I will say I don't use TMY regularly, very rarely but last year I did some testing against Hp5 because I was thinking about changing speeds. I contact print on Lodima/Azo. I saw differences that I have to say make me want to use it but I can't see paying 3 times Fp4, my regular film. I like the way it renders blue sky and shadows are slightly more open than Hp5. I use 6 1/2 x 8 1/2" so it would have to be cut down or special ordered. I ended up staying with Fp4 and bought some strobes.