Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide angle lenses for 8x10

Re: Wide angle lenses for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Brings up again the difficulty with 8x10 and wide angle lenses. IMO, so many jump to 8x10 believing it is the ultimate film image format without considering all the other factors related to using 8x10 often and what is required.

Bernice
    You mean it's not just a really big 35 mm????
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 8-Feb-2021 at 18:06.

Thank you all,

at the end I went for a Boyer Beryl 6.8/180 (a France made Dagor design) in good shape. Its flyer states it covers 18x24cm at full aperture and up to 21x27cm when closed above f16.
    I will update with the results in some weeks.

Regards
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Um, er, ah, you should have asked about Beryls first or read my (and Eric Beltrando's) article on Boyer. See http://www.galerie-photo.com/boyer-lens-optic.html.

The Beryl is another Dagor clone, has the same coverage as the equivalent Dagor. Boyer, like Goerz, claimed more coverage than its lenses had.

So it covers 18x24 at infinity. So focused hyperfocally it will increase the circle size a bit. Closeup maybe even bigger circle. 6.8 to me is almost always that it is a Dagor type lens. Same basic results with my Schneider Angulons

Very compact even the big ones
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Roberto,

Being in Europe, you might want to look at Eastern bloc lenses. See Arne Croell's article on them.

One example he gives is the Hugo Meyer 160mm f6.3 Weitwinkel Aristostigmat with a maximum coverage of 320mm stopped down, with a construction (4/4) similar to the Kodak Wide Field Ektars. It is a compact lens and some were coated.

The other consideration with such short lenses, is that my wood field camera has to undergo some major contortions to get the front and rear standards that close together, plus the potential issue of how much the bellows (32" / 82cm of bellows) will compress relative to the requirements. Just another consideration depending upon your camera...

Hope that helps,

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    So it covers 18x24 at infinity.
    No it won't. See dioptrique.info. Boyer, to be impolite, stretched the truth.

That would be a 180mm Dagor, not gonna cover 8x10.

Do not believe the marketing "literature" as that is from a time when over rating the image circle was a very effective marketing deception.
    The lens choices that have been mentioned and discussed previously has NOT changed... little if a anything at all has changed with 8x10 lenses in a very long time.
    LF is NOT like digital camera lens fashion or 35mm film lens fashion from years ago. What could be done has been... done.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Nania View Post
    Thank you all,

at the end I went for a Boyer Beryl 6.8/180 (a France made Dagor design) in good shape. Its flyer states it covers 18x24cm at full aperture and up to 21x27cm when closed above f16.
    I will update with the results in some weeks.

Regards

Thank you guys.

I'll try the Beryl and let you know if I'm pleased with the results. As I told, I don't look for the perfect detail from corner to corner and some degree of fall-off and blur on the edges could work well for the pictures I have in mind. Let's see; the Beryl came at a fair price, if I won't be satisfied I can always use it with no restriction onto my Chamonix 45

@Len Middleton: thank you for the tip, good to know about the Weitwinkel.
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Nania View Post
    thank you for the tip, good to know about the Weitwinkel.
    Roberto,

According to Google Translate, "Weitwinkel" is German for wide angle, and is common description on German wide angle lenses, hence it being used as part of the name of the Hugo Meyer wide angle lens.

Good luck in your efforts,

Len

I have been shooting 4x5 for many years and have a variety of lenses from 75mm to 19 inch. Several years ago I bought a Calumet "black beast" to try out 8x10 format. I love the format - but there are trade-offs - a smaller depth of field, weight, bulk, cost. If you want to shoot wide angle on 8x10 then you are either going to shoot with relatively little movements with a standard bellows or one with a bag bellows. Older lenses will work with a standard bellows: 6 1/2" WA Dagor, Beryl, Wide Angle Wollensak 159mm, etc. With a bag bellows the new, larger, heavier, more expensive lenses make sense. Such as: 150mm Nikkor SW, 155mm Grandagon, 165mm Super Angulon etc.

I use a 6 1/2" WA Dagor, for my wide angle. I have a 160mm Hugo Meyer weitwinkel that does barely cover - but it has scratches that ruin the image quality. My end product is enlarging to 16x20 or 20x24 - The dagor works fine. I also have a Nikkor 240mm W lens - it is very sharp. A friend had a 210mm Graphic Kowa f/9 lens very sharp.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 10-Feb-2021 at 17:28.