Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide angle lenses for 8x10

Re: Wide angle lenses for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yes I get that, as I have the "ultralight" version of the Wehman myself (and I'm one year younger than you).

Nevertheless, there is a significant weight penalty for the entire system, including bigger tripod, much larger film holders, oftentimes bigger lenses, etc.

I invite you to come on the Appalachian Trail with me for 8-10 miles and see which you prefer . I've hiked up to the highest point on the AT in GA with my Wehman...not a fun day.

Of course, as mentioned in another thread, enlarging from 8x10 is a bear without huge, hard to find enlargers, so since I like to print larger than 8x10 regularly, there is simply no other option than staying small and enlarging from 4x5. I find no meaningful difference between 4x5 enlarged 2x and an 8x10 contact print unless inspecting with a loupe.
    I enjoy the purity of the contact print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A totally fair and understandable opinion. I'm definitely not in that camp.

I've gotten better recently at previsualizing print size while photographing. Some compositions do not work small, some do not work big.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Well, my being 54, going on 55 and having wrecked my body from the Marines and bodybuilding, not too mention playing deputy sheriff for a number of years, even a 35 lbf pack can feel like a lead weight from hell. Especially if you hike the grand canyon at all. And that weight can be paired down to bare minimum if you consider necessities for survival more important. That would mean 1 or 2 film holders, a box of film and 1 lens, maybe two at the most and your eye loupe, meter and dark cloth, plus tripod and ball head (could forgo ball head). Last time I did the canyon my pack was 35lbf of just essentials, so you would need to be willing to hike straight up with a pack between 50 and 70 lbf. Can't take the mules as I am too heavy even without pack and rafting requires you to use your soul for a deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    A totally fair and understandable opinion. I'm definitely not in that camp.

I've gotten better recently at previsualizing print size while photographing. Some compositions do not work small, some do not work big.
    Grand Canyon almost never works small!

I did a trail recently with an average of 17% grade, max over 35%, with a 50lb pack. Only about 25lbs of that was 4x5 gear, rest was camping gear. Need to pare down my camping gear weight with some UL stuff so I can more comfortably carry the 4x5, but that is $$$. 8x10 is a non-starter on longer hiking/camping outings.

Chamonix has come out with some lightweight 8x10 film holders (435grams). About a quarter pound lighter than the standard Fidelity. The price is much heavier.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I saw that. $380 per. I won't be replacing my 8 Fidelity holders I'm afraid.

I have some Fidelity 8x10 (and some 11x14) holders with metal darkslides -- they add a bit of weight!...but one does not worry about breaking them.

I carry five to six 8x10 holders, so if I spent a couple thousand and bought 6 lightweight Chamonix (assuming I sold six of my old Fidelities for $50 ea), I'd save 1.5 pounds...which means I could add another lens in the pack that probably weighs 3 or more pounds.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Vaughn, roughly what's your pack weight when you go out with your 8x10? Just curious.

The other day I actually measured my pack properly, when filled out with roughly my normal 4x5 outfit. It was 35 pounds total including the pack and all my accessories. I like the photo backpack I have for day-hikes but it's in excess of 6 pounds and I've been really considering a slightly smaller and less rugged pack, and toning down the gear just a little. I found a cheap knock-off bag recently for $20 that can hold 4 lenses and a couple Grafmatics and is only 2 pounds, but haven't tested it with a long hike yet.

My 8x10 setup with 3-4 holders, which is the most I usually bring, and 3-4 lenses, is probably a good 10 pounds heavier, if not more.

This really goes to being not just good but great and knowing your subject. Then you can cut down on weight. For landscapes I shoot almost exclusively the 75mm Nikkor. I a sense then I could carry only that lense a spare shutter cable 4 film holders a changing bag dark cloth loupe and meter. And a box of film and so.e filters. If I really tried, I bet I could get the weight to q5 lbs including tripod. 4x5 that is.