Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide angle lenses for 8x10

Re: Wide angle lenses for 8x10

I've a 159mm Wolly Velostigmat EWA yellow dot.
    I checked out a 165mm Super Angulon once but thought it way too heavy for the front standards on my ol' 'dorff.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Contrary to what some will say about the 110mm SSXL covering 8x10, it really does not, been there tried this and the light fall off is not good at all. This goes back to circle of illumination -vs- circle of good optical performance. Respect Schneider's specified image circle.

120mm sw Nikkor stopped down with zero camera movements is about as wide as it gets for 8x10. Then there is light fall off to deal with.
    The 115mm f6.8 Grandagon, does not make it.

There are few options for 105 degrees or more for 8x10.

Beyond the difficulties of available wide angle lenses, film flatness and the ability for the 8x10 camera to used this short a focal length is often a problem.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Getting close to buying an 8x10, looking for wide and super wide angle lenses. Like any in the 75mm to 150 mm range?

To further muddy the waters (sorry!), I had always heard that the Super Angulon 121mm would barely cover 8x10, straight on, but that the Nikkor SW 120 f/8 will not quite cover.
    I have the former, but have never tried it on 8x10. (I have it for use on 5x7.)(And yes, I need to try it on 8x10.) And I've never had the chance to compare those two lenses myself.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    To further muddy the waters (sorry!), I had always heard that the Super Angulon 121mm would barely cover 8x10, straight on, but that the Nikkor SW 120 f/8 will not quite cover.
    FWIW, the 120 Nikkor SW is actually specified by the manufacturer to cover 8x10, just. (Nikon says 312mm at f/22.) With the 120 and 121 SA the specified image circle at f/22 is a bit short of 8x10, and we're all playing the game of stopping way down and eyeballing the negatives or prints to see if we think they're good enough.

Does anyone here regularly focus at infinity? I can’t remember the last time I did. I’ve used my 120 SA with 8x10. It worked fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

SSXL 150mm?

I use the 6 1/2" WA Dagor for 8x10. Plenty wide for me. If you really need something wider, stick to a smaller format!

Nikkor SW 120mm f/8:

150mm lenses (Nikkor SW, Schneider XL) are way more expensive for the most part and larger, but have greater coverage. Do you need that? Not for general landscape IMO. Understand the effects of perspective distortion if you greatly tilt the camera.

One cheap option in that focal length though is a 6" Metrogon. Will not have the contrast of a modern lens, but still very sharp from my experience. Can be found cheap, and then mounted in shutter, or less cheap, in a shutter already.

210mm is the next step up with a multitude of options. 210mm Graphic Kowa is a stellar option, more affordable than the Computar which has possibly a somewhat larger IC, but the GK is more than enough.

On the other side, if you can deal with roughly a 6x10 negative, Schneider 90mm XL covers about that much. Other option for 75 / 90 is to spend thousands of dollars for a Hypergon.

Final note - unless you plan on contact printing or printing larger than 16x20 on the regular, no reason to get into 8x10 over 4x5. The cost in terms of weight and portability is large.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Does anyone here regularly focus at infinity? I can’t remember the last time I did. I’ve used my 120 SA with 8x10. It worked fine.
    With my 120mm Nikkor never focus at infinity, really stop down, and final mat opening is 9.5"x7.5" which also helps out a bit.

If you are shooting trees at close distance, not mountain peaks at infinity and you don't plan to use much movement, then Rodenstock Perigon 130mm f/12 is very good. It usually comes in a shutter and it is tiny with nice contrast and extremely sharp.