Thread: New (to me) Chamonix 045N-2

New (to me) Chamonix 045N-2

Hello everybody.
    Made an order for this camera.
    Any pointers I should be looking out for? Quirks or future upgrades?
    Or in general, user experience?

Thank you all
    Danny

Re: New (to me) Chamonix 045N-2

I only got one a month or two ago as my first large format camera and I love it. Obviously no other LF cameras to compare to but I have other new and old cameras as a baseline. I really love how it looks, it feels extremely solid and functions perfectly. I don't find mounting the front standard every time I unpack it that annoying, the little latches to unlock front tilt can be a little fiddly when trying to operate them while under the dark cloth. I also think that the fresnel screen over the ground glass makes critical focus a bit hard at times but that's probably the same for every camera that uses one.

Tim Sandstrom

My favorite 4x5, have many cameras, the only issue I had was getting the front standard 'square',
    so I had a small piece piece of aluminium machined, but frankly, even a credit card will do...
    enjoy the rig, the problems are mostly, as they say, "behind the camera"

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    My favorite 4x5, have many cameras, the only issue I had was getting the front standard 'square',
    so I had a small piece piece of aluminium machined, but frankly, even a credit card will do...
    enjoy the rig, the problems are mostly, as they say, "behind the camera"

-Tim
    Hey Tim we met at Pirisima creek large format get together couple of years ago. You showed me that alignment piece, very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have a 45N-2, love it, but you have to practice with ANY camera. With practice I pretty quickly learned where to place the front standard, but when I first got the camera, I didn't get it right--took 2 or 3 tries to find the right place for the front standard. Slow learner. I appreciate the light weight and the design considerations that were solved to achieve that weight.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Thank you for the hints.
    Tim would it be possible for you to post a picture of that help device?
    Im a mechanical engineer, so learning is not a problem. Actualy Im building a 8x10 based on the 45N-2 and F2. Currently have the bearing slides on order and base plate is beeing machined.

Danny

What's the difference between the N2 and the F2?