Thread: I-70 Colorado and Utah

I-70 Colorado and Utah

I just came back from a short trip, driving the I-70 (actually, the CO-93, I-70 and I-15) between Boulder, Colorado and St. George, UT. Some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen: mountains, rock formations, and vistas. I do not know how accessible any of it is, but it would be worth weeks and weeks of photographing to scratch the surface. I am not a landscape photographer by any means, but this was awfully tempting. Sadly, I didn't have the time to stop but it sure made me want to go back.

Les

Re: I-70 Colorado and Utah

Just curious which eyes are you using ? Are you from the E. Coast ? I've driven I-70 on my last leg of my "around US trip" in 1974 - to Las Vegas. Those days there was over 100 miles of no services and hardly a brick to be seen anywhere. It appeared to be the only place in US....till I was reminded that several spots in Nevada (Teyxas ?) were v. similar (different topo though). I guess I missed it during my recent SW trip.

I'm surprised you didn't stop to inhale-exhale. No doubt we would love to see some visuals.

Les

Not recently from the East Coast. Maybe no services, but fabulous rock formations, canyons, mountains and broad vistas. Colors ranging from green to brown, red, orange and yellow. Only the opportunity to take a few phone photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1041.jpg   IMG_1039.jpg   IMG_1037.jpg  

Having issue with attaching files. I'll try this oneAttachment 194851

Lovely country indeed!
    I've traveled this route from Las Vegas to Denver several times.
    ANY TIME you see a scenic overlook sign along a road in Utah, TAKE IT!
    You won't be disappointed.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Seriously.
    Try the Beer Cheese Soup at the Dam Brewery in Dillon, CO.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm an eastern boy and am easily impressed by the West. I drove part of I-70 through Utah way back in nought-five and thought for sure that around the next bend I'd run into a herd of dinosaurs. It really does have a primordial look to it.
    Every western trip since then I have been running against the clock and just wished that for once I might be able to take a planned, but leisurely drive throughout the scenic West without having to cow tail to a clock. Most times I've driven through I've missed a lot of interesting locales simply due to road stupor.
    I need to slow down and smell the sagebrush.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    I'm an eastern boy and am easily impressed by the West. I drove part of I-70 through Utah way back in nought-five and thought for sure that around the next bend I'd run into a herd of dinosaurs. It really does have a primordial look to it.
    Every western trip since then I have been running against the clock and just wished that for once I might be able to take a planned, but leisurely drive throughout the scenic West without having to cow tail to a clock. Most times I've driven through I've missed a lot of interesting locales simply due to road stupor.
    I need to slow down and smell the sagebrush.
    Just don't miss the beer cheese soup!
    The Virgin River area is very beautiful and shouldn't be missed either. The view from I-70 as you motor past doesn't do it justice.

Get a paper road atlas of the US, and whenever you get a chance to take one of the roads with the little green dots running along it to indicate "scenic route," take it. In the Southwestern US, at least, I have never been disappointed by those little green dots.

Speaking of I-70, a side trip down Utah state route 128 from I-70 to Moab along the Colorado River is well worth it, plus then you're in Moab, where there is a lot to see. Maybe too many people at a few of the over-visited landmarks like Delicate Arch, but other than that, my usual rule is that once you get more than 15-30 minutes walk from the parking lot, the crowds magically dissipate.

A soak in Glenwood Springs helps sustain old bones.