Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Pan/Tilt Head question

Sinar Pan/Tilt Head question

I can buy a Sinar Pan/Tilt Head with a crack in the side disk, see attachment. Is that disk used for tensioning the head or is just decorative? In other words, is it (un)wise to buy it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_86.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	194813

Re: Sinar Pan/Tilt Head question

I suggest putting your camera on the head and go through a series of movements to see if the crack opens?

If it does, then it's not decorative.

Mike

There are plenty of clean examples on the market. I would suggest you pass.

That side disc is the primary structure that locks tilt. Never seen on that has cracked like this. A cracked disc like this would result in a no tilt lock.
    Unless you're able to source a direct replacement disc, better pass on this one.

Bernice

Yeah, like maybe a gorilla tightened it. Then threw it down on the concrete for good measure!...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    That side disc is the primary structure that locks tilt. Never seen on that has cracked like this. A cracked disc like this would result in a no tilt lock.
    Unless you're able to source a direct replacement disc, better pass on this one.

Bernice
    I've never laid hands on a Sinar Pan/Tilt Head -hence my question- but that's exactly what I suspected. I absolutely **will** pass on this one. Thanks everyone for your input!

Between here and there

How a disc with six small screws can maintain the lock of the tilt when set up with a heavy camera is beyond my mechanical understanding. Looking at my own example, I was actually thinking it was a "beauty ring" and the real stuff holding it together (like a large nut) was inside. Live and learn something new every day ...
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Those six holes are not for screws, they are for an anti-rotation 2mm pin that sets the lock handle position. The tilt works by clamping the top and bottom casting together with a M10x1.00 screw and long handle between polymer friction disc. Combination of long handle and fine threads can produce a LOT of clamp force. This combined with the friction generated by the polymer disc between the center tube and castings absolutely LOCKs the two sections together when clamped.

Name:	Sinar Pan Tilt, clamp screw.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	194854

Name:	Sinar Pan-Tilt_pin to hole.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	194855

I've yet to encounter another tripod head design with this degree of stability and solidity once locked. It is an excellent item of mechanical engineering and lightweight for what it can offer.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    How a disc with six small screws can maintain the lock of the tilt when set up with a heavy camera is beyond my mechanical understanding. Looking at my own example, I was actually thinking it was a "beauty ring" and the real stuff holding it together (like a large nut) was inside. Live and learn something new every day ...

I checked on mine and these "holes" are not screws. Could be for a big spanner with six little poles to unscrew the whole aluminium chunk. Plus there are no efforts on this axis. The whole weigth is supported through the black rings on the vertical axis. So I m not sure there is a lack of thinking there.

Presumption that holes have screws.. example of Cognitive Bias.

Bernice