Thread: Film developer

Film developer

Just getting back into B&W film ,I use to use D76 but My local shop suggested Xtol by Kodak has anybody any experience with this Developer?Can not beleive the price of Chemistry ,it has been 30 years but it seems what used to cost $5.00 now cost $35. However it still seems worthwhile.I will be doing 35 mm and 4X5

Re: Film developer

I use a lot of instant mytol, which is an xtol clone. I like it a lot because of the fine grain, slight highlight rolloff and full emulsion speed. I never much cared for d76 due to the harsh highlights it gives me.

Welcome back to the B/W world! One benefit I see of XTOL over D-76 is you don't need to heat the water for mixing. I've never done side-by-side comparisons with negatives developed in both, but supposedly XTOL gives finer grain and better shadow detail. If you shoot different types of film though, D-76 1:1 is still the tried-and-true. Ilford equivalents are great too, so if I see something on sale, I'll grab it.
    I go through periods where I print a lot and others where I develop batches of film, so having something with a long stock shelf life is handy. I use more concentrates like HC-110 and Rodinal these days, as I find it's more economical for the way I work. I'll mix stock solution from the concentrate to cover my next week or two of developing, and I don't need to worry if it's started to go bad. If I've got a jug of stock D-76 solution that I mixed more than 3 months ago, I get a little nervous. However, if you've got a big pile of film to develop, mixing up some D-76 and using it 1:1 is probably the most cost-effective.
    If you want some real sticker shock, look at the price of E-6 slide films like Provia... $18.00 for one roll of 35mm!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGJ47 View Post
    Just getting back into B&W film ,I use to use D76 but My local shop suggested Xtol by Kodak has anybody any experience with this Developer?Can not beleive the price of Chemistry ,it has been 30 years but it seems what used to cost $5.00 now cost $35. However it still seems worthwhile.I will be doing 35 mm and 4X5

Xtol it's an excellent recommendation, also it's ideal to start, and it's one of the best general usage kodak developers: the finest grain, the highest acutance and a 1/3 stop advantage in the shadows vs D-76.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	___grain.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	194814
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSvQh17SxkE

Also it's environmentally friendly and very low toxicity. 5L are $10 that can make even 50 rolls, so 20 cents per roll and 5 cents per 4x5 sheet, if used optimally.

If those 5L are to be a long time in the shelf then better to mix it with distilled or deionized water, soda/coke plastic bottles are good to store it as they provide a good barrier for air and can be deformated to not have air inside, (if doing that, mark well those bottles with skull and bones!)

D-76 is also excellent, perhaps it is a bit more compensating than Xtol, but as always this also depends on dilution/agitation, etc

IMHO Xtol it's technically slightly better than D-76, but what's aesthetically better this is "ymmv".

Well thanks guys lots of useful help!

Xtol is terrific.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Xtol works really well for me in a replenishment system, especially with the larger volumes used for tray processing. I store my stock developer in bags like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Bag-Box-.../dp/B07BR674P3 and have had it last for over a year.

[QUOTE=NHE;1515218]Xtol works really well for me in a replenishment system, especially with the larger volumes used for tray processing. I store my stock developer in bags like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Bag-Box-.../dp/B07BR674P3 and have had it last for

GREAT IDEA,the bags just arrived thanks for the tip