Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STOLEN Canham 8X10 View Camera--please be on the look out!!

Re: STOLEN Canham 8X10 View Camera--please be on the look out!!

Have you notified a Keith Canham?

Terribly sorry to hear of your situation and your loss. I grew up in SW Montana and going back these days it is quite apparent in speaking to friends of mine from back in the day that are police officers that Montana has a meth problem like they have never seen. It is all about cycling anything and everything that they can steal of value for their next high. How sad. After hearing years ago of Michael Smiths van getting broken into in Chicago and the loss of some valuable lenses I have committed myself to finding and booking travel inns where I can park in front of my room and I carry all of my photo gear into the room with me for the night. It is a glorious PITA particularly with heavy equipment and it takes extra time at the beginning and at the end of the day, but your camera equipment is intensely valuable and worth the effort. These things can be replaced. Continued success with your education. Live and learn.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Terribly sorry to hear of your situation and your loss. I grew up in SW Montana and going back these days it is quite apparent in speaking to friends of mine from back in the day that are police officers that Montana has a meth problem like they have never seen. It is all about cycling anything and everything that they can steal of value for their next high. How sad. After hearing years ago of Michael Smiths van getting broken into in Chicago and the loss of some valuable lenses I have committed myself to finding and booking travel inns where I can park in front of my room and I carry all of my photo gear into the room with me for the night. It is a glorious PITA particularly with heavy equipment and it takes extra time at the beginning and at the end of the day, but your camera equipment is intensely valuable and worth the effort. These things can be replaced. Continued success with your education. Live and learn.....
    When I was with EPOI and was doing a Bronica demo at a hotel in Chicago. At lunch time the sponsors told us to put our equipment under the draped table and join them for lunch as the room would be locked.
    After a typical rubber chicken lunch we went back to the room and when I looked under the table to find that the two cases full of all the Bronicas and all the lenses were missing!

Police came, took a report and told me not to expect the equipment to show up. They were right!
    When I called EPOI to report the theft their response was not to worry about it!

Eric Woodbury

Looks as though there are 15 pawn shops in Billings MT with a population of 100k. What's up with that?

That's a lot of pawn shops for a small town: one for every 6700 people. Weird. I'd look there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    ... At lunch time the sponsors told us to put our equipment under the draped table and join them for lunch as the room would be locked.
    After a typical rubber chicken lunch we went back to the room and when I looked under the table to find that the two cases full of all the Bronicas and all the lenses were missing!
    Had a similar experience while working a corporate event. Had lighting gear stowed under the table and behind the drape that was stolen. We stowed gear like that and had assistants watch over it, but learned the hard way that many servers at these events are day labor and will steal when no one is looking!

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Had a similar experience while working a corporate event. Had lighting gear stowed under the table and behind the drape that was stolen. We stowed gear like that and had assistants watch over it, but learned the hard way that many servers at these events are day labor and will steal when no one is looking!
    Along with $25,000.00 of equipment stolen from our car under the Strasbourg city hall was a non working Linhof 612 prototype that was for display only.
    Figured whoever ended up with it would, at some point, send it to the factory for service since there was no place else. Darn thing never showed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Along with $25,000.00 of equipment stolen from our car under the Strasbourg city hall was a non working Linhof 612 prototype that was for display only.
    Figured whoever ended up with it would, at some point, send it to the factory for service since there was no place else. Darn thing never showed up!
    They did not know what they had probably. Sad to think it may have ended up in a dumpster. 👎

Eric Woodbury

Similar here with lost equipment. I was working for big aero-space company. We left a demo camera and misc equipment in the lobby of the hotel for FED-X pickup. That equipment never made it home and everybody concerned pointed fingers in a circle. Never turned up. It was a pricey camera system -- high resolution (at the time) mid-wave infrared -- $100K. Big aero-space self-insures, so they ate that one. I doubt without training, anybody could turn it on, let alone use it in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    They did not know what they had probably. Sad to think it may have ended up in a dumpster. 👎
    I really didn’t care if it ended up in a dumpster but the also got over 30 roll of exposed film that I would drill like back!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Montana?
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones