Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody like circular images?

Anybody like circular images?

While I am concentrating on 5x7 and 4x10 I do have an interesting lens in a Compur 0 shutter. The lens came from a Mamiya Press and I remounted it in the Compur. The lens is the 50mm f/6.3 that is purported to be of the Biogon design. It was designed to cover 6x9cm. I haven't tried it yet but it should make a nice circular image on a sheet of 5x7 film. Didn't the original 100 shot Kodak box camera create circular images? Why aren't circular images more popular, after all when I look up from typing this on my Macbook Pro I see a wide expanse that is kind of circular and is certainly not a rectangle!

Re: Anybody like circular images?

I've moved this to "On Photography" as it's really a question about esthetics, not about lenses.

You might be interested in Sam Wang's work with circular pictures. Here are two links, but there's plenty more in some of his other portfolios as well, so have a look around his website:

http://www.samwang.us/portfolio/landscapes

http://www.samwang.us/portfolio/why-round/cover

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    While I am concentrating on 5x7 and 4x10 I do have an interesting lens in a Compur 0 shutter. The lens came from a Mamiya Press and I remounted it in the Compur. The lens is the 50mm f/6.3 that is purported to be of the Biogon design. It was designed to cover 6x9cm. I haven't tried it yet but it should make a nice circular image on a sheet of 5x7 film. Didn't the original 100 shot Kodak box camera create circular images? Why aren't circular images more popular, after all when I look up from typing this on my Macbook Pro I see a wide expanse that is kind of circular and is certainly not a rectangle!
    Have you tried making round frames, cutting round glass, cutting round holes in mount boards?

Here's the design:

The lens nearly covers the Fuji FP-100c frame on a Mamiya Universal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mamiya 50mm f6.3.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	194688

Eric Woodbury

Ted Orland did a series many years ago now, of photographs without sharp corners. Some were rectangles with rounded corners and some were ovals. He did it only to buck the trend of rectangles, not as a way to use the image circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Have you tried making round frames, cutting round glass, cutting round holes in mount boards?
    Oval frames used to be popular. I could just just cut down the 5x7 contact print with scissors. Or, on the other hand just mount the print in a 5x7 frame. Were there is a will there is a way. A circular glass cutter is possible, I think I've seen one, the same with a circular matt cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    Here's the design:

The lens nearly covers the Fuji FP-100c frame on a Mamiya Universal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mamiya 50mm f6.3.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	194688
    Looks like a Biogon to me, or even the 43mm lens for the Mamiya 7

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    Oval frames used to be popular. I could just just cut down the 5x7 contact print with scissors. Or, on the other hand just mount the print in a 5x7 frame. Were there is a will there is a way. A circular glass cutter is possible, I think I've seen one, the same with a circular matt cutter.
    If you cut it down or put it in a 57 frame it won’t be a circle,

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I've moved this to "On Photography" as it's really a question about esthetics, not about lenses.

You might be interested in Sam Wang's work with circular pictures. Here are two links, but there's plenty more in some of his other portfolios as well, so have a look around his website:

http://www.samwang.us/portfolio/landscapes

http://www.samwang.us/portfolio/why-round/cover
    Wow, they look great. Now I am enthused to do something similar. If only I had some 5x7 Fuji Provia and then could backlight them on a picture frame!

Some lenses have a mechanical barrier which abruptly vignettes rather than gently falling off. Big difference.

A photographer who printed oval shapes via masks was Henry Bosse. I've even stood in his tripod position twice - a hundred years removed.