Thread: Is there an economical way to mount 90mm Grandagon and 90mm SA cells for use?

multiplex

Lightbulb Is there an economical way to mount 90mm Grandagon and 90mm SA cells for use?

Hello
    A friend gave me 2 sets of lens CELLS and no shutter. One set is for a 90mm Grandagon and the other is for a chrome SA. I don't have an extra shutters these could go into. Is there any way of making a barrel for these lenses? are there some made already I can buy? I'm kind of a shoestring budget person, a cobbler and cheapskate so I am hoping there is an inexpensive solution
    Thanks !
    John

loujon

Re: 90mm Grandagon Rodenstock and 90mm Super A Schneider CELLS

Hey John I'd say finding a broken/beyond fixing the shutter blades or timing escape but with a working iris would be the "easiest/best" way of getting at the least the Grandagon making images. If it's the f4.5 version then you'll be looking for a Copal 1 and if the maximum aperture on the Grandagon is f6.8 then look for a Copal 0.

multiplex

Re: Is there an economical way to mount 90mm Grandagon and 90mm SA cells for use?

Thanks Louis !
    but .. are there ways to mount these cells in a barrel that doesn't cost much ?

Re: Is there an economical way to mount 90mm Grandagon and 90mm SA cells for use?

Y'know, telling us which size shutters the cells take would help a lot.

Schneider Comparon lenses in barrel are in barrels that match standard shutters. Same tube lengths, barrel diameters and threads. If you need #0 barrels, try 105/4.5 or 150/5.6 Comparons. If you need #1, try a 135/4.5.

multiplex

Thanks Dan !
    I didn't tell you the shutter sizes cause .. I didn't know !
    Thanks for filling in the blanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Thanks Dan !
    John
    You don’t seem to indicate which lenses you actually have.
    Grandagon 90 4.5 needs a 1 size shutter.
    Grandagon 90 6.8 needs a 0.

5.6 SA and most 8.0 fit a 0. Some 8.0 used a 00.

However, while they may just screw in you might need to use a collimator to get correct spacing to get best performance from the lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Thanks Dan !
    John
    Simple test: front and rear cells' threads different diameters, #1; same diameters and 29.5 mm, #0; same diameters and 22.5 mm, #00.

If you need a #00, look for a 50mm or 75mm Comparon.

If you use a camera that takes Sinar boards you could source Sinar DBM boards. They can be found relatively easy.

Sinar DBM boards are mixed. They have essentially fixed aperture scales with adjustable aperture inside and limited to f5.6 typically on the scale. If one gets a f8 or f9 or smaller aperture DBM scale, it cannot be used with a f5.6 or larger full aperture lens without replacing the DBM scale. Aperture calibration is mostly a non-issue as it can be adjusted as needed.

Spacers with matching aperture drive pin are used between the DMB aperture assembly and lens board to accommodate the rear element distance required to clear the Sinar shutter.

Then a Sinar shutter is needed unless one does the lens cap shutter or similar.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    If you use a camera that takes Sinar boards you could source Sinar DBM boards. They can be found relatively easy.