Thread: CC Harrison coming

CC Harrison - with patent iris

I've really slowed down my radial drive lens collecting from the Golden Era a few years ago. But have a late CC Harrison with the iris coming soon. Several recent threads made me think about what an innovator Charles C. Harrison was. Daguerreotypist first, then learned lens grinding from Fitz, of American telescope fame. (He learned from Ross or Dallmeyer, I forget). Made excellent Petzvals that were considered The Best for most of the 19th century. Won awards for them. Invented an Orthoscop design. Invented the iris aperture system. Invented the Globe wide angle lens. All before 1865!

I'll post more on it when it arrives. Hope the iris works. It's stuck in my other CCH.

Last edited by goamules; 2-Sep-2019 at 10:37.

Re: CC Harrison coming

Today's the day it should arrive. After the usual UPS circuitous route back and forth across the continent a couple times (they have to justify their 6 day shipping time somehow) I should get it and check it out. Coverage is TBD, the previous owner said it covers 8x10, but I never got a focal length. I'd say a wholeplate lens. That will fit in well with my others. Very late 11,xxx serial number, made the last year of these. But there are different opinions of when that was, 1864 or 1867. The Gordon Moat site guesses the latter. Also he talks about "stamped" vs engraved lettering. Mine looks engraved, but all his later listed ones are marked "stamped". But he has no pictures of what that means.

Last edited by goamules; 27-Aug-2019 at 08:06.

Congratulations, very nice lens.
    (How I would like to shoot some plates with a lens like that one day....)

Thanks, they're good ones. It came yesterday, and the iris works. Everything looks good on it, ready to try.

Evidently you and I are the only two on the LF forum who care about these. Strange how silent this forum has become since a few years ago. Like a library in a backwater town, I guess.

We're not all equipment geeks.

Congrats on finding the lens you wanted for your collection.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I resemble that remark.

Sometimes it is just enjoyable to read about other people's specialities, rather than attempt a feeble contribution!
    My purchase on it's way is an Ed. Degen (the elder) from the same period (1865). Looks exactly like the design from another, better known Parisian makers - which I suspect it is.

Good deal Stephen! Fun learning and using these exotics.

I do have one brass beastie, but have only put it on the 11x14 once. Silver gelatin contact print of my son, Bryce. Photo of me by Bryce.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LensMount1.jpg   Bryce11x14b.jpg   New Shirt_11x14.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China