Thread: Making first scan in 8 months

Making first scan in 8 months

I used my anti-static gun, etc, but I doubt I did a good job. I rushed it, and I am out of practice with my routine. But will continue to refine my new routine. Right now chaotic as I just wanted to get the scan in. New guts in computer as it went tits up many moons ago so I lost my scan defaults, plus Vuescan has had a few upgrades since. Will post initial results without any cleaning in PS for a bench mark.

Re: Making first scan in 8 months

Definitely gotta get back in the swing of things. I really need a clean room . Especially since the higher the resolution you scan at, the greater the dust revealed becomes. I used the ionizing air gun, etc and still gobs of crap. Perhaps I need to clean scanner as well. Of course a negative thst is pretty much black will be really bad at revealing dust.

Dust is a way of life when scanning! I doubt that even if you, literally, had a clean room that you could totally eliminate dust because everything in the processing chain has not been handled that way. For example, was your scanner manufactured in a clean room? No. I'b bet there is dust even in a brand new scanner right out of the box. Heck, the box itself creates dust! Thank God for the spot healing tool. I remember back in the early days of PS when all we had was the clone stamp tool for removing dust and scratches; talk about a PITA!

This has help reduce dust for me when scaning more than any other tool, and I've tried a lot of them!:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it to clean the scanner glass right before scanning, as well as the film.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Anyone who scans needs PEC-12 film cleaner and PEC Pads to go along with the liquid. Best film cleaner on the market and will remove even unwashed chemicals, which is particularly apparent when cleaning old Kodachromes. Great for taking Sharpie off anything. They claim that it's the only truly archival film cleaner on the market. Scanning with Kami Scanning Fluid will further reduce dust if you can get the appropriate holder for your scanner but nothing will remove dust that gets embedded in the emulsion from sitting in dirty dusty filing cabinets for decades. There is only one remedy for that and that's to heal it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    This has help reduce dust for me when scaning more than any other tool, and I've tried a lot of them!:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it to clean the scanner glass right before scanning, as well as the film.
    I have one of those. It does work.

I wet scan with Kami fluid. Now that I have some practice again, the dust levels are really reduced. Still present, but greatly reduced. Now I notice more the mistakes in developing (small pin holes, leftover artifacts from developing, etc, not much but present) Hopefully when I build our new home I will have a clean room for my office (not certified, but still a clean room) Will also help with my allergies since I spend a lot of time in there.

I am also starting to dislike using things like the SP445. Seems I cannot get away from streaks, dribbles, etc. I use distilled water, photoflo, etc. I am thinking (maybe incorrectly) that tray processing is the only real way to prevent these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I am also starting to dislike using things like the SP445. Seems I cannot get away from streaks, dribbles, etc. I use distilled water, photoflo, etc. I am thinking (maybe incorrectly) that tray processing is the only real way to prevent these things.
    Same here regarding the SP-445. Others use it successfully, but I use it nowadays only for quick testing of something. There are other 4x5 options other than trays: BTZS tubes, homemade tubes, Nikkor-style tank, B's reel in a Paterson tank, used CombiPlan, etc. I tray developed both 4x5 and 8x10 for many years, but could never achieve absolutely even development. Best solution for me has been the Jobo Expert Drums on my CPP-2, but that's a whole nutter price point!

I was thinking of one of the expert jobo drums for inversion/roll. They have ones that go from like 2 sheets all the way up to 10 and can double as a process drum for sizes in between. I will give tray a try here at some point. Just strange that you do everything correctly so to speak and yet you get the drips and swirls, etc.

So far, I have cut down on dust issue by at least 90-95%! It is amazing that I see more issues with developing than I do with dust now. Ie, pin holes, minor blotches in emulsion, etc, but hardly any dust. I am getting to point I don't need to check scans for excessive dust any more. Scanning is quick, it takes longer to save the file it seems than to mount negative. I think with hardwood floor and a door to office, that will take care of the rest.