Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: When did decent wide angles show up? [lens history question]

Re: When did decent wide angles show up? [lens history question]

No discussion of the history of wide angle lenses is complete until the Retrofocus wide angle lens is mentioned-discussed.

This optical design happened due to the need for a wide angle lens with a back focal length greater than the lens focal length. This became a requirement for the cinema film folks needing to put a beam splitter between the lens and film for technicolor film production. It was Taylor-Hobson in the 1930's that introduced this design for Technicolor. Eventually Angénieux further developed this concept and introduced the first production Retrofocus wide angle as their R1 in the 1950's to meet the wide angle lens need of the Exakta SLR. Since then nearly every wide angle lens for SLR camera, cinema camera, video camera and... have typically used a Retrofocus wide angle lens.

This is a tribute to the French and British lens designers ability to solve a very real optical problem and need. This is also another example of how the German's are not the only ones who does optical designs and production excellence.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknF...etrofocus.html

Bernice

Bernice, the link you posted doesn't work.

Thread drift is fun but I don't see what retrofocus lenses have to to with LF. I don't believe there are many. I can think of one or two Komura lenses, and that's it.

Worked here.. simple enough to google Taylor Hobson and Angénieux Retofocus lens.

As for thread drift Dan, ya likely know by now I'm one who will not be held into a box or border when stuff like this is discusses as they are ALL related and to place artificial limits on a topic can never give the bigger picture of any given topic.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bernice, the link you posted doesn't work.

Thread drift is fun but I don't see what retrofocus lenses have to to with LF. I don't believe there are many. I can think of one or two Komura lenses, and that's it.

I have an 1870s Darlot Wide Angle Hemispherique #3 which I use for making wet plate negatives. It has a unique system of "waterhouse stops" that is very clever. The lens cost $20 in an 1885 catalogue. See: http://piercevaubel.com/cam/acc/lensdarlothemi631.htm

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I have an 1870s Darlot Wide Angle Hemispherique #3 which I use for making wet plate negatives. It has a unique system of "waterhouse stops" that is very clever. The lens cost $20 in an 1885 catalogue. See: http://piercevaubel.com/cam/acc/lensdarlothemi631.htm
    Those fall under the "Wide Angle Rectilinear" category. I always likes the Darlots...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Somewhere I've got a better illustration, but this shows some of the subtle differences.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Hmmm...One of the first, if not the first decent wide angle lens was the CC Harrison & Schnitzer Globe lens which appeared in the late 1850's IIRC. It represented a revolution in photographic lenses in its day.

Here's one currently for sale although the FL is not given: http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/...u31312-23.html

Thomas

Interesting reading. Another lens to throw into the mix is the Rodenstock Perigon. Here's a link to an earlier discussion on the lens that covers its history. The design dates back to pre WWII (shown in a Linhof listing of lenses suitable for their cameras). At the bottom of the thread, Kerry Thalmann even suggests Rodenstock may have had a predecessor that dates back to the early 1900's, an f12 Weitwinkel Aplanat with 100 degree coverage.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...p/t-16817.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tweed View Post
    Interesting reading. Another lens to throw into the mix is the Rodenstock Perigon. Here's a link to an earlier discussion on the lens that covers its history. The design dates back to pre WWII (shown in a Linhof listing of lenses suitable for their cameras). At the bottom of the thread, Kerry Thalmann even suggests Rodenstock may have had a predecessor that dates back to the early 1900's, an f12 Weitwinkel Aplanat with 100 degree coverage.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...p/t-16817.html
    Pontogonal, pre-WW I. R'stock made a center filter for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Pontogonal, pre-WW I. R'stock made a center filter for it.
    Dan, Pantogonal. No bridges were involved in the naming of this lens 😏.